munkee1965

Flubenvet v's Vermin X

I went to a chicken health talk at my vets last week and told the vet that I used Vermin X to worm the chickens every month.

She basically said that I was wasting my time using this and to use the Flubenvet. :? I'm due to worm the girls in the next week and was wondering what everyone thought about the 2 products.

I used to use VermX but switched to Flubenvet (I use the premixed Marraiges layers pellets) after reading a few threads on here.

Generally the VermX is a herbal remedy that is still good for your girls and helps to keep a heathly gut, but is not terribly good at clearing out an infestation.

I switched to it after getting a new Vorwerk who had come to me with worms.

She was fine after treatment with the flubenvet laced layers pellets.

I use it about 3 times a year now and give the girls a VermX dose about once a month whilstI still have some left.

Ditto, switched from Verm-X to mixing my own Flubenvet with pellets and now I buy the premedicated marriages layers pellets as sooo much easier. A10kg bag does 4 hens and 2 ducks with a little left over that I have had to bin as the date has not been long enough to enable me to keep the pellets until my next wormimg session. You are not meant to share a bag with someone else if I remember rightly. :? x

Absolutely flubenvet. Verm-X is good for your chickens, but from what I understand, no better than any of the other poultry drinks/spices etc. Most people who keep chickens on a large scale, any vets I have spoken to, and magazines all say there is no evidence Verm-X treats worms and so you need flubenvet.

Again, I use the premedicated pellets, I buy them from flytes of fancy, I think, but they are easy enough to source on google, and aren't really any more expensive that normal layers pellets, so there may be a bit of wastage, but it's well worth it

Verm-x is a herbal supplement not a wormer. The reason for the rewording on their literature and website is a result of action taken by the Veterinary Medicines Directorate (the UK vet medicines regulatory body) "Some herbal and homeopathic products are claiming medicinal benefits without scientific proof, meaning they may not properly treat or prevent serious diseases, leaving animals at risk". I am surprised that Omlet is still listing products under the heading 'Wormers' in their shop. The only licensed poultry wormer in the UK is Flubenvet. Vets will sometimes use Panacur (doesn't kill all worms) or Ivermectic, this should only happen if Flubenvet is not suitable for some reason.