Clucking_Mad

Suggestions on how to stop egg eating please

Hello Everyone, Please could I have some suggestions on how to stop egg eating. One of my girls has been laying soft shelled eggs usually when we are at work which we have now got the problem sorted. However I now think my girls have got a taste for the eggs (can't blame them they are delicous) I have tried filling up an empty shell with hot mustard whih they seemed to love. So then I tried an empty shell with a mixture of hot mustard and chili sauce which they ate. They are still eating the odd egg and I don't know what else to do. I know taking the eggs out as soon as they lay but they usually lay while we are at work. Any suggesttions would be great I will try anythig.

Thank you Laura x

Have you tried bumpa bits? Omlet has sold them in the past, I don't know if they still do. They were really good for stopping my evil Gingernut Ranger when she took up the habit. Unfortunately with her when the they came off she still resumed and we had to get rid of her but with my two others it was great and they haven't eaten their eggs since.

They were 1 then and now they're 8, so it's really worked!

:D

Do you have a rabbit cage? I've tried a roll away nest box, chilli, mustard, you name it. Snowy is currently in a rabbit cage with a dummy egg and it appears to be curing her. I removed her because she was eating all of the eggs, not just her own - very frustrating and I was worried she would teach egg eating to the others.

I think the change of environment as well as the dummy egg has been the best solution for her. Even with a roll away next box, she was managing to peck at it before it rolled away - what a determined chicken! :roll:

I tried the dummy egg trick on one of my old hybrids which worked for a bit but then turned her coop mate broody which led to getting hatching eggs, now three chicks and a cube later the hybrid is in solitary confinement as she tried to teach the other small flock the new technique.

The farmer we got the eggs from said it may be calcium deficiency and to feed crushed shell?