chestnutmare

Hardwood chips for chicken runs VS softwood chips...

Hi Chestnutmare. I haven't use them yet myself (just weighing up if the lawn will stand the cube & run trundelling round the rest of the winter, or site it and use hardwood bark chip!!!???) So as I understand it it's to do with mould spores. Barkchip gives them off once wet, where as hard woodchip doesn't. Also I believe it lasts longer. I've been told to ask around my local tree surgeons to see if I can get some for free or a small fee. :D

Hope that's useful. :)

Hi Chestnutmare. I haven't use them yet myself (just weighing up if the lawn will stand the cube & run trundelling round the rest of the winter, or site it and use hardwood bark chip!!!???) So as I understand it it's to do with mould spores. Barkchip gives them off once wet, where as hard woodchip doesn't. Also I believe it lasts longer. I've been told to ask around my local tree surgeons to see if I can get some for free or a small fee. :D

Hope that's useful. :)

I don't use bark, I have softwood chips. I could used to get hardwood chip from B&Q but I can ony get softwood now. :roll: I can't remember how well the hardwood lasts though. We have rain water trickling passed one run. It's not terrible but the wood in that run is defintely mushy now. :?

oh sorry!! :oops: That will teach me to read the posts more throughly!!! So is there any difference?? :D

I don't know. I'm thinking the hardwood chips would last longer but as it's pricey buying them online (and I've had no confirmation here ;) ) I'll stick with softwood chips and top up more regularly. *sigh* Things we do for these chickens. :)

I buy my Hardwood Wood Chips from Flyte so Fancy; yes they're expensive (but so was the (green eglu)(cube green)!goyellow! and 2 very extended Omlet WIRs, so I'm past worrying :lol: My WIRs are covered with clear Tarps and the wood chips lasted a whole year (just) before I replaced them so I guess in the grand scheme of things, they're not really that expensive :wink:

:lol: Chicken keeping's not expensive is it? Did you get your woodchip delivered from FSF? :think: Lasting a year makes it sound VERY cheap! :clap:

Sorry to jump in, but can I ask how you maintained the hard wood chips during the year? My run is on concrete - would I just need to poo pick it or would I need to do anything else? Thanks!

I have two/3 eglus on concrete. I don't poo pick, I haven't got time. But I'll completely clean out the bedding and put fresh down as and when. I use Stalosan or Bio Dri on the woodchip.

That's great thanks. I'm hoping I can just get away with raking over and using bio Dri

ive been poo picking and then raking over and using stalosan, seems to be working ok so far though i have just ordered another bag of chips as one wasnt enough. i think most people on here do this and it works fine, i cant really comment on long term as ive only had my chooks for 2 weeks but its working so far for me!

Four years ago I started with rubber chippings, looked lovely for a few months than stank and I still find bits even now in the garden! Have used Aubiose now for years great product but a pain to clean the WIR in the middle of winter every few weeks, especially as I work full time and have my Grandson very Saturday, so if the weather is bad on a Sunday, cannot do the big clean. Changed to hardwood about three months ago now ready for the winter.

Am very impressed, was very expensive, just over £100, :shock: but time wise it is fantastic, just rake every week and sprinkle down some pink fairy dust, takes ten minutes max. :clap:

Do plan on going back to Aubiose at around Easter time, mainly as it looks so nice and clean where as the wood chip is quite dark. Mind you when it comes to the big clean I may have changed my mind.