cavs cats n chicks Posted January 26, 2013 Share Posted January 26, 2013 Do any of you put any extra bedding inside your Cube in this cold weather please. I had a for several years and this is the first year that I have a . I use straw in the nest box and cover the poo trays in newspaper and a layer of wood shavings, so I can easily pick the poo off each morning. In this very cold weather I have been putting a pile of straw on top of the roosting bars, its a bit of a pain to clean as it gets s"Ooops, word censored!"ed through and jams the trays and makes it difficult to just pick the poo off. Today as its a bit warmer I have just put an extra thick layer of shavings on the tray itself. Also I throw a blanket over the top of the coop when its really cold for extra insulation. What do others do? I would be very interested to know ...... Thank you. By the way I have seven girls in the cube, so lots of bodies to snuggle up to. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mollyripkim Posted January 26, 2013 Share Posted January 26, 2013 I think they should be snug and warm cuddled up in the cube. I use auboise in the nesting box of the cube and in the duck house and must admit have filled it deeper than usual, espeically for the ducks as there are only two of them. I do shut th cube door as well. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted January 26, 2013 Share Posted January 26, 2013 I don't do anything differently for cold weather, apart from bringing the drinker in at night to stop it from freezing. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cheeky Chooky Posted January 26, 2013 Share Posted January 26, 2013 Same here Olly Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Grandmashazzie Posted January 26, 2013 Share Posted January 26, 2013 I use wood shavings in nest boxes and put thicker layer , I also warm a snugglesafe and pop it in before I close door.I am interested that some people use straw in coops(even seen in Peppa pig!)as I was told not to use it as it can have spores/mould which causes disease,was this misinformation ? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mimi5 Posted January 26, 2013 Share Posted January 26, 2013 No grandmahazzie, straw is NOT good it can also harbour mites!!! (Scaley leg type!) I don't do anything other than fill in the gap between/above the poo trays with flannels in really cold weather and give the 5 pekins a snugglesafe too! Always close the coop door, better safe than sorry and it keeps warmth in! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
counturchickens Posted January 27, 2013 Share Posted January 27, 2013 I have 7 in a cube, and don't do anything different in the cold weather. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Purplemaniacs Posted January 27, 2013 Share Posted January 27, 2013 I have 5 in a and an ex batt in a within the WIR and they have been fine during the cold weather. I shut the door every night all year round. Chrissie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
charly1979 Posted January 27, 2013 Share Posted January 27, 2013 I dont do anything different either but there is 7 of them. I didnt know that about the straw hmmmm maybe why my mum has had some problems with scaly legs ?? and a oh darn it for me as I think mine have barley straw in the nesting box doh !! My neighbour on very cold nights does jacket potatoes wraps them in foil and pops them under her girlies she only has the 2 though Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
penny70 Posted January 27, 2013 Share Posted January 27, 2013 I'm afraid I must be very tough - I've got 2 in a cube, and do nothing different. They've got fantastic feather jackets, and get up every morning happy and warm. I reckon as long as they've got enough food inside them then they'll be ok. And I don't shut the cube door either. I've always done the same with chickens, after someone told me that she has hens that insist on roosting in her silver birch every night come wind, rain or snow, and are fine! But I'm also a toughie with the ponies too - no rugs or stable, but plenty of grub in their tums. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
cavs cats n chicks Posted January 27, 2013 Author Share Posted January 27, 2013 Thank you all so much for your helpful replies, makes me feel much better. I have always used barley straw in their nesting boxes and liberally coat it with DE powder, never had a problem with it, but might look at shavings or aubiose for them. Thanks again Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
suebee Posted January 27, 2013 Share Posted January 27, 2013 I have a large-ish wooden coop, and only two ladies, who sleep on the floor ... so I've fitted a piece of extratherm insulation (that 2" thick stuff) to cover the floor area to stop any cold striking up. I put shavings on top of this. To be honest, I think this just makes me feel I'm doing all I can. They probably don't need it. After seeing the way the girls struggled in the (brief) hot weather we had last 'summer', I promised myself I'd never worry about them being cold again. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...