The Dogmother

Calling those near Northampton - dog lost/stolen

A friend of mine has lost her lurcher in the Brackmills area of Northampton, near the woods - after a few days, it is likely he has been stolen to work :( There haven't been any sightings yet but a few thorough searches and posters are up, the aim is to make him too hot so that anyone who has dognapped him will abandon him pronto. A crew with a sniffer dog will be out at the weekend too.

His name is Springer and he has a collar and is chipped and tagged. If you see him whilst walking in the area, could you email kaye@lurcherlink.org ?

Many, many thanks - he is sorely missed and his mum is desperately upset.... it's her birthday today too.

Link to Doglost poster details

DSCF6324.jpg

Springernew.jpg

48148_a.jpg

Latest from Andrew and Diane:

9th Feb Well we spent up to about 11pm in the woodlands last night. Little wood hut, got a fire going with a bag of coals you just light the corner of the bag. BBQ's a poor pig for his bacon, sausages and chops. Now with all those cooking smells and his 4 favourite people in the whole world sat round a camp fire for hours, I would have thought that would be the biggest draw there could possibly be. But there was absolutely no sign of him at all. I have no choice now but to believe that Springer is not in the area any more. Maybe he was when the lovely Wispa was tracking, or perhaps she was tracking Andy's smells or one of the other dogs Tia or Scooby. But sadly, I don't think he is there now. The tracks we saw of a pointy dog following badger prints turns out to have been Phoenix Stevens' boy walking the field while Steven stayed at the top. Steve thinks that someone has grabbed Springer, may keep him hidden for even up to a month before trying him at hare coursing or similar. That's when he will demonstrate he's no good at that sort of thing and get dumped. If someone has my Springer P L E A S E be gentle with him. He is only built for love, for zooming about with his pals and grinning like a silly. He's no use for breeding, no use for hunting, and certainly not any use for hare coursing. I'm told you have to have a dog with brains for that, and super fit. He has the drive, and he'd certainly like to catch a smaller furry thing, but he just doesn't plan ahead at all. He'll not win you any points or bets at coursing. His skin is paper thin so he could very easily hurt himself trying.

The Wales dog sounds like the one Katie saw listed from Pontipridd, but the warden and kennels has Andy's number.

The Milton Keynes dog - I searched the right area but saw no sign of him or her while I was there. Will keep monitoring.

Perhaps now is the time to try the dragon publication for a wanted add, and perhaps leaving posters up everywhere that travellers fill up with petrol/diesel. I'll draw up a list later and get a tick list going for what's postered and what's not.

T H A N K Y O U to everyone for your support, love and caring for our Springer. Looks like we are in this for the longer haul.

I have cross-posted this all over the place and will also email it out to friend south of Oxford as there's a lot of illegal hare coursing and poaching going on down there at the moment.

I'll share the Facebook page on my FB account. We have a problem with hare coursing up here too and we're not a million miles from Northampton (an hour or so) so not impossible that he could end up round here. The next village to us is used a lot by coursers and poachers (lots of very open farmland with plenty of hare/deer), so I'll share with dog walkers in that village. It's a long shot, but I guess once the word starts spreading that there's people looking for this dog all over, then he might be given up :pray:

Thanks Annie. TBH they rarely steal greys, especially ex-racers, unless it's to use as a bait dog :evil:

Springer looks really useful, even though he's a real numpty at hunting. Hopefully they will realise that and release him without any harm. Andrew and Diane now think that he has been moved to another area where they will hold him until the trail goes cooler before trying him out poaching or hare coursing. He is a distinctive looking dog so shouldn't be hard to spot.

Looking at my two flat out in front of the fire, it turns my blood cold to imagine them being stolen, but it's a fact you have to face with most dogs now. Cyrus is a rescue form Ireland; he was originally stolen to course (which he is hopeless at as you need a brain for that :wink: ) his scars suggest that he might possibly have been used for bait, before being dumped out of a van by a dual carriageway. He is so nesh that I can't imagine him having to fend for himself. :(

Poor lad will be missing his owners too :( Dogs have such a strong bond with their humans, it must be so distressing for them to be separated with no idea what's going on. Tango really only likes about half a dozen people, tolerates quite a few more and is wary/terrified of the rest. It would really upset me just to think how distressed she would be at being held with strangers before even starting to think about how they might be treating her... :(

No, sadly there's one; his owners have offered a reward i the hope that that will tempt anyone who has him or knows where he is being held.

The area where he went missing is quite busy with dog walkers, walkers, joggers etc, so they assume that he must have been taken for working and is being kept out of sight for a while before they use him. They will soon discover that Springer is hopeless with prey, so the hope is that he will be found again.

Just recently a stolen lurcher was found, dumped after several months, so there's hope.