Nicola O

Best dog wormer

I have always been a bit erratic when it comes to worming the dogs, and usually get the wormers from the vets - not the cheapest way of buying them, I know.

Can anyone recomend a good wormer I can buy on line without perscription (my vet charges £10 for the perscription alone) as I think I'll be able to be more organised if I haven't got to trundle off to the vet each time. I have used Milbemax over the last few years simply as my vet only seems to have that or Drontal and Millie had a weird allergic reaction to Drontal when she had it once, but I'll happily use any brand if it has a good recommendation/reputation.

I hope the vast knowledge held in 'Omlet land' can help :D .

Nicola

The active ingredients in Drontal are now available in many other veterinary strength wormers as a result of the patent expiring. Plerion (now discontinued), Endoguard and Eliminall all contain pretty much the same as Drontal as does a Bob Martin wormer now I believe. So, if your dog does not tolerate Drontal, they probably wont tolerate any of these. The other veterinary wormer available is Panacur. It tends to be well tolerated but does not cover the 'flea tapeworm'. To be perfectly honest, if your dog doesn't tolerate Drontal I would stick with Milbemax from your vet :D

Thanks for the info, Chucky Mama. I had no idea that drontal was in so many other products. I'll have to get more organised and mark on the calender when they are due to be wormed. Looks like we'll stick to Milbemax then.

I had the same problem - Drontal gave Tango a dreadful upset tum when I gave it to her once, never again! I now stick with Milbemax. It is more expensive but much better than midnight dog squits :vom:

ooohh, that sounds unpleasant :vom: .

Millie wasn't ill as such, she had a kind of 'bad trip'. She spent the evening running around the house, snapping at the air as if she could see something buzzing about, and became quite frantic :shock: . Fortunately she wasn't distressed at all (I was though as I couldn't get her to settle or calm down for a few hours). When I spoke to the vet she said she had never heard of such a reaction, and the only way to tell if it was the Drontal was to give her another one but I certainly wasn't going to put her through that again so have stuck to Milbemax ever since.

Nicola

Neela has Drontal and has been fine on it. Actually, thinking about it she was quite sick Saturday night when I had given it to her in the day up I thought that was due to eating a wee bit too much chicken skin. Will pay more attention next time she has it. I buy it from an online chemists for £1.80 odd per pill, along with Frontline for her and the cats as its much cheaper.

Neela has Drontal and has been fine on it. Actually, thinking about it she was quite sick Saturday night when I had given it to her in the day up I thought that was due to eating a wee bit too much chicken skin. Will pay more attention next time she has it. I buy it from an online chemists for £1.80 odd per pill, along with Frontline for her and the cats as its much cheaper.

Is this with a prescription or can you just order? If so please can you let me know the website? Many thanks

I was about to start a thread and ask if people use non prescription flea Ann worm treatment successfully and if so which.

I do admit I am very very paranoid about unwanted visitors to our animals but I am also sick of the cost. We now have a dog four cats and two chickens. I came out of the vets with just flea and worm stuff for the cats last week and it cost over £50 :shock::shock::shock:

I worm regularly and use Milbemax for the reason above. Tango scabs all sorts of rubbish while she is out and especially loves eating poo (sheep, horse and cat are favourites but deer and rabbit is okay too :vom: ) so I like to be vigilant about worming. I am a bit more relaxed about flea treatment and tend to be more regular in the summer when fleas and ticks are more active than in the winter. I use non-prescription Frontline for fleas/ticks and buy online which is cheaper, but when the current batch runs out I will probably buy Effipro which is the same stuff, but cheaper.

Going slightly off-topic, but in answer to L_B's post above; I have always used Frontline on my hounds, but last year I found that it became less effective... this has been reported countrywide, so not just my loons picking up super-fleas. I am using up the current stock, then changing to Advantix as that has tick coverage as well. I treat mine for fleas every quarter as they hunt in undergrowth all year round and tend to pick up passengers.

My Willow (cocker spaniel) suffered fleas despite using Frontline regularly last year :( My vet suggested it was because she loves going in to any water, apparently this can reduce the effectiveness of the treatment!!! So he suggested Advocate which also covers quiet a few worm types too!! No fleas since, but do have to give her a drontal twice a year to cover the one type of worm the advocate doesn't cover. But all good here :D:D

Hi, my cats are due to be wormed soon and I wondered what the omleteers thought was the best cat wormer? I usually use something from the vets on top of the Advantage spot on, but can't for the life of me remember what it's called....which means its definitely time for worming again because its obviously been so long that I've forgotten! :oops: