Couperwife

capsule wardrobe

I really didnt know what section to put this in, sorry if it needs moving :oops:

So. Ive lost a bit of weight, well about 2 stone, and im still losing :D

So, ive been dumping clothes left right and centre :D and replacing them with 'it will do for now' clothes.

Hat I want, when I get to target is a capsule wardrobe, but I dont know where to start. I know it should be good quality, classic styles. But where do I shop?

Does anyone have any experience of capsule wardrobes? What did you buy? What do you suggest I buy?

Thank you :D

Cathy

X

I was reading an article about Donna Karan yesterday, and it said that she popularised the notion of a capsule wardrobe consisting of seven items. I would definitely go to a DKNY store, even if you don't buy anything there, because there are certain classic styles that they stock every year such as the cozy and several styles of black trousers, and which should give you some ideas.

Personally, I would start with a good quality white cotton shirt, black trousers,some knitwear, and a pair of great jeans. A lot depends on your lifestyle, and whether you want the clothes for work or not, so you could add a skirt or a dress and/or a jacket if necessary.

Although it sounds boring, I would always go for plain classic colours - black, beige, white, navy - and add splashes of brighter colours with scarves, jewellery and other accessories.

HTH - and happy shopping! :D

Well done you for losing so much weight :dance: ! You deserve to have a bit of retail fun :D

My experience of "capsule" was work clothes, as I needed to dress the part and be taken seriously, but couldn't afford much and needed to make the most of whatever I bought.

I started with a basic colour (black in my case, though brown or navy would be just as good) and a couple of accent colours (cream and red for me). Initially I bought jacket, trousers and skirt in black, a plain top in cream and mixed red/cream/black top, so I could wear any combination - it cost a fortune to me then, though I'd now buy from ebay rather than brand new. When I could afford it, I added a few more tops, another black jacket (with a bit of cream trim), a cream jacket and skirt, and a mixed skirt, still sticking with the same colours so anything could be combined. When I had spare money, I invested in a black coat, a good pair of black boots and a black Radley bag. I've still got it all, though the trousers have been replaced a couple of times and a couple of the favourite tops are now a bit shabby, and it sees me through work, weddings and funerals.

I chose Windsmoor at that time, and it may be worth you spending time in a department store trying on such makes as Windsmoor, Planet, Jacques Vert, Country Casuals etc to see what fits and suits you best re colours and skirt/jacket styles. When you know what you really like and what size you need, you can either wait for it to be reduced in the store sale, or go on ebay and see what's there. There's usually good bargains to be had in these makes :D .

Choose things you actually like and will wear most days - no point having seven items that look fab together and just hang in the wardrobe - and, most importantly, have fun choosing :D !

Wow - congrats on the weight loss!

Have you considered booking a session with a personal shopper? I think quite a lot of the 'big' stores have these ladies who will pick thing out for you and, from what I have heard, its free and you don't actually have to buy anything! :D

Massive congratulations, thats fabulous 8)

I've never had a capsule wardrobe but one thing occurs to me, before you get to the fun bit of choosing the clothes, is to be 100% honest with yourself about what you spend your time doing. I think I'd divide my time up into rough percentages so I knew what I would actually use. For me it would be something like 5% having to look smart in front of clients, 75% looking casual at home where I work and I prefer to be comfortable and warm rather than fashionable (but increasingly trying not to look like a bag lady :roll: ) and 20% going out into the real world where I want to look vaguely on trend.

I'd then make a list of what I need, not forgetting footwear. And I suppose the point of a capsule wardrobe is to be able to mix colours easily so choose everything to go with everything - magazines used to say black/white or navy/camel, but as I get older I find I want a bit more excitement. Having said that, when I worked 'in public' so to speak, for general office days I had a 'uniform' of several pairs of black trousers and a number of white shirts and coloured tops, plus black cardigans. Essentially I could grab anything and it would go with the trousers. For presentations etc I had 2 good suits, brightly coloured so I stood out in the crowd; if I was doing that again I think I'd choose a couple of good dresses instead, there is so much choice now. I also used to mix quite expensive clothes with very cheap clothes.

I think my essentials now are jeans and casual trousers which fit and suit me, a couple of narrow gilets that don't make me look enormous, a dress to make me feel glamorous, T shirts that wash well, jewellery, footwear and cardigans for all occasions :D

Thanks for the replies :D

A personal shopper! Why didnt I think of that :dance:

I went to a personal shopper a few years ago (spent a fortune :roll: ) ill see who does them near us :D

I love the idea of the key colours and the accenting stuff with scarves and jewellery :D I just need to lose 10lbs and im there :D hopefully summer hols will see me with my new wardrobe :D

Cathy

X

Daphne, I must have crossed posts when yours was added :oops:

I like your idea of times for each outfit :D im a teacher so I need to be smart, but dont need a suit. Trousers and top work :D but I'm seen round town by the kids so I cant slob out, cos they would comment :lol:

Ill figure out percentages and see what I come up with :D I dont like mixing school wear and playing out wear, so ill need to take that into account

Cathy

X

Good on you for shifting the weight; congratulations!!

Don't laugh, but M and Co do personal shopper, and the girls are pretty well trained. Good for the basics, ie black trousers, the fit anywhere any occasion skirts , standard tops etc, whilst giving you an idea of your shape/style/colours, at not too great a cost. The bits you then "favour" can be replaced with quality item of similar shape/colour as and when.

Did this when I was working "smart", and it did me well. Just never got round to getting the expensive stuff, as I was made redundant!! (a good thing, no tears!)

im a teacher so I need to be smart,

The teachers I see at DS school and the local secondary don't follow that!!!!

Big congratulations from someone who needs to do it and can't currently. I'm so impressed when people do and I really do mean it.

Debenhams also have personal shoppers and I think they are free. I used one for an outfit for a wedding and was so surprised at how good they were. I'm hard to choose for as I am very fussy, DH would say high maintenance and I'm also very difficult to fit as I am an odd shape. But they did it.

Most of all make sure you enjoy it. You've worked hard to achieve it.

thank you :D:D

ive decided on Red, cream and black as my colours :D:D im blonde, so red looks good :D im going to slowly work through my wardrobe and clear out the wrong colours. then write a shopping list for the items that Im missing :D

its useful that ive lost the weight, as im not inclined to "keep cos it could come in useful" if you know what I mean.

Ive been looking in TK Maxx :D so far, ive found 3 scarves and 2 dresses that I "need" :lol: but I wont be buying until the summer, by then they will have sold out :roll::lol: (cos who needs 3 silk scarves at £40 a go :shock: )

thanks for all the inspiration from everyone :D

cathy

x

Firstly congratulations on your hard work! I have done that amount too, many moons ago and it was very hard but worth it. Everyone has given some great suggestions for a capsule wardrobe. A personal shopper is a great idea. Do you have a Debenhams near you as they do this for free, plus you get all sorts of treats and have a free make up session at which every is your fave make up brand. I along with a few friends have just given our good friend a voucher and details on this for her 40th birthday pressie. Plus no obligation to buy anything if you don't want to.

Do look at your old stuff before chucking or recycling as there may be fabrics you like or buttons. I've done this recently and have added a nice amount to my button jar. I made sure the items weren't suitable for charity shops (too worn) before chopping up.

Another good thing to try is one of those colour sessions.I booked one about 5years ago,it was colour me beautiful.They give you a guide to the best colours for you and what to avoid,my best colour recommended was hot pink,every time I wear I get comments ,oh you look well/great or such like so it must work.She also did a bit of what shape of skirts,trousers etc to go for and makeup.