Groovychook

Bertie Cat has been in the wars.

Poor old Bertie has had a trip to the vets this morning :(

He had a small wound on his back leg last week, which at the time I bathed in warm salty water and left it to heal. It seemed to be doing nicely and had dried and scabbed over, until I discovered him grooming a great gaping hole last night before bedtime :shock: It seems it had turned into an abcess and burst, poor boy. I feel so neglectful, but it had looked fine and he was behaving completely normally. He'd gone to ground yesterday though so perhaps that's when things had started to develop.

Anyway, he's been cleaned up and bandaged, had a long lasting antibiotic shot,is sporting an Elizabethan collar and has to be confined to a cage for TWO WEEKS! Thankfully, I've got my large dog cage- the chooks hospital wing normally, so I've got that in the kitchen where I can keep an eye on him. He's not a happy bunny though and is spending his time trying to burst through the bars. It's been an hour since he was confined, he's reversing round in circles and he's had the water and biscuits over twice. Small dog is forever present outside the prison, hoping to break into the biscuits. Bertie is wailing and Tinker is howling. It's going to be a long haul.

Going back in on Wednesday to have his dressings changed. I'm :pray: for a miracle recovery and hoping that he'll get early parole!

Ah poor Bertie, don't feel too bad about the abcess. Lottie, one of my younger cats, developed 2 abcesses on her tail. I'd only noticed the night before as I'd stroked along her tail and realised it was swollen. I'd not seen her bothering with it at all. The vet said that sometimes they can develop quite quickly, I hope she wasn't just making me feel better :roll: . Obviously one of my other cats must have bitten or scratched her. :(

Hopefully Bertie won't have to spend 2 weeks in the crate. :D

Ouch - same here, don't feel guilty because it's happened to me too. Wellington has had several abscesses over the years, being a keen fighter, and I well remember the time I found he was oozing mysteriously, and tracked down a huge hole on his rear end - I felt very guilty for not having spotted it! In my experience the antibiotics work very quickly, two weeks sounds a long time so here's hoping Bertie gets parole before then.

Thanks all :)

Bert has just had his first poo, which is a great relief to me!

He had been resolutely refusing to use the litter tray and not eating or drinking much either. Will happily drink cat milk when offered but very grumpy about being left with plain old water- spoilt boy :roll:

I was just contemplating putting the dogs harness on him and taking him out into the garden on a lead because the caterwauling was becoming unbearable.

Hopefully he'll settle down now and get used to his fate.

(have edited the post because photobucket has removed the photo's for some strange reason :? )

Edited by Guest

Our cat had one on his neck which I noticed when it burst - spraying me and the bed in pus. :vom:

Eewww - I'll thank my lucky stars!

Just come back from the vets. He's had his dressing changed and it's healing quite nicely. They still think I'll have to keep him in for 2 weeks though. I am going to try him with a harness and lead tomorrow though because he's still very reluctant to use the litter tray.

He's now modelling a very stylish bandage with chickens on :lol:

Got to go back on Saturday to have it changed again.

Well, the bandage came off on Saturday, with instructions to keep the collar on for a few more days and continue applying aloe vera.

I tried him off with the collar on Tuesday as it looked like it was healed over, but within a second, he'd groomed it and made it look very sore. Collar back on.

Checked it again this morning and it looked completely healed- no redness at all. Took the collar off but again, within a few minutes, he'd rasped it and made it bleed. It looks like he's taken the top layer of skin off :wall:

I rang the vets and they've said to keep the collar on for another couple of days and try again. I just wondered if I could put anything on that area to deter him from licking it. Perhaps something that tastes nasty? Any suggestions gratefully received. I don't want to be back to square one again at the weekend!

By the way, the harness idea was a no-no. He went very flat to the ground and refused to budge :roll:

I had this trouble with Lily once with a wound on her face, every time it looked healed and we took the collar off she pushed her paw into it and made it a bigger wound, eventually the vet said she would be left with a hole in her face if we couldn't stop her :shock: .

We only got over this by keeping the collar on her for six weeks until the wound had completely healed and the fur had grown back - probably not what you wanted to hear. It was a real pain at the time but better than a permanent hole in her face.

Thanks both,

I suppose it's just a waiting game. I'm not sure he's ever going to forgive me! He's literally climbing the walls. I caught him swinging from the window earlier. I'd just popped out of the room for a second having previously opened the window a smidge to let some fresh air in :roll:

I'm going to be firm, wait until Sunday and review the situation. I was just hoping, rather desperately that there would be some magic solution to stop him licking it. I think it's aggrivated because the wound is on his 'ankle' joint, so the skin is very thin anyway. Crikey, I hope it doesn't have to stay on for six weeks! Poor Lily...

I just wondered if I could put anything on that area to deter him from licking it. Perhaps something that tastes nasty? Any suggestions gratefully received.

We used Grannick's Bitter Apple with one of our dogs which worked a treat...not sure if you could try it on Bertie :think: You could always ring your Vet to check? :)

We used Grannick's Bitter Apple with one of our dogs which worked a treat...not sure if you could try it on Bertie :think: You could always ring your Vet to check? :)

Ooh, thank you for the tip. I'll google that & call the vets in the morning!

Good luck! We had to keep Hattie (the cat) in a puppy crate when she was recovering from her ear infection. She sat in it crying at us :( she is just about full recovered now.

Poor little poppet :( Glad to hear she's on the mend!

Bertie has left the building :dance:

We stuck it out for another week but enough was enough. I removed his cone this morning and although he gave his leg a quick inspection, he didn't do any damage and it seems to have healed okay.

He's been bouncing around the garden like Tigger :D

I've given him a good talking to and told him to keep out of any s"Ooops, word censored!"es!

Cats are nightmarish patients. Ours removed his own sutures and I was dreading a telling off from vet. Vet said " I'll just go and get some scissors to remove stitches" me " er I dont think you;ll need any - hes done it himself" :oops: Could have strangled said cat. Vet laughted and said they see it all the time. Phew. He will take medicines though - hes a gannet and i can get meds down him no problem. Glad hes well and bouncing. :D