Alis girls Posted March 26, 2013 Share Posted March 26, 2013 I think I have inherited my mum and grandads hearing loss. Finally decided to book free test at Boots. I've had one before in a chaotic ENT clinic. Does anyone here have a hearing aid- visible or the old fashioned type As my friend said "your hair is long so you wont see it" , however I do tuck my hair behind my ears so cant decide to go for NHS one or get a smaller one at a highish charge. Sorry incredibly vain - struggling with old age at 51!!!! The thing is I often syringe ears at work and the old fashioned ones often whistle which would drive me nuts. I dont know how people put up with it. Any advice gratefully received. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Goosey Lucy Posted March 26, 2013 Share Posted March 26, 2013 Hi, I know exactly what you're going through. I don't want to go into details here but will send you a pm. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted March 26, 2013 Share Posted March 26, 2013 I got one years ago (the one that sits behind your ear) but couldn't get on with it at all. I felt my ear got hot and damp inside and the sound just wasn't right so I gave up on it . Don't want to put you off though, I'm sure things have moved on since then! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Grandmashazzie Posted March 26, 2013 Share Posted March 26, 2013 My sis got NHS one which is big and awkward she persevered for a couple of months til her review she told Dr. She couldn't tolerate it and he referred her back to hearing aid dept and she got really tiny one which sits inside her ear on NHS apparently they hope you do ok with first type as they are cheaper. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted March 26, 2013 Share Posted March 26, 2013 My brother got one last year, after going to consultants (had an operation) I think he ended up getting it from the specialists in Boots. The ear piece is tiny and the bigger bit which sits behind his ear is small and the same colour as his hair so even though his hair is short, you really don't notice it! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted March 27, 2013 Share Posted March 27, 2013 My friend is profoundly deaf and has those ones which have a piece behind the ear, but it is very small and discreet, you can even get them in fashion colours. I am deaf in one ear from a car crash over 30 years ago; I will need one eventually too. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Alis girls Posted March 27, 2013 Author Share Posted March 27, 2013 Thanks everyone - I am going to go for check and then decide. I struggle in say a pub with background noise but one to one ok, but now struggling on the phone. The NHS ones the elderly have seen huge and very difficult to fit. And as mentioned the whistle would drive me to drink Will let you know the outcome. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Looney Posted March 27, 2013 Share Posted March 27, 2013 I need to get my hearing tested, my left ear hasn't felt right for a while and there is deafness in my family My gran has needed hearing aids (both ears) since a young age. Although she said that there are loads of reasons why the big ones are not ideal the benefit is that people can see that you are deaf/have hearing problems and tend to automatically react accordingly rather than her having to go through the whole explanation, please can you repeat/speak louder, more clearly etc. This is probably more relevant to people with more severe hearing problems though.. X Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Alis girls Posted April 2, 2013 Author Share Posted April 2, 2013 Had my test and definately have a problem especially in the right. My audiograms are not normal. I dont think I can stretch to private aids they are pricey and didnt realise the batteries dont last long. I think I will have to look into NHS ones. The man showed me a range of devices. There was one which seemed huge and I said "OMG that is enormous, its so big" to which he said " thats been fitted for my ear" oops having extracted my foot from my gob I rapidly apologised which he found funny thankfully. My OH made some rude comment when I told him. Hey ho - I am getting old. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chicken Licken Posted April 2, 2013 Share Posted April 2, 2013 The hearing aids available on the NHS seem to vary hugely across geographical area. My dad has 2 very discrete state of the art digital hearing aids that are set to match the frequency of his hearing loss, he does not need the full earpiece that the someone with a more profound hearing loss would require. My grandmother in Essex has the same digital hearing aids but with the full ear moulds. She was recently in hospital closer to London and it was apparent that no-one there had her hi- tech hearing aids but the older, bigger models that we all visualise, and one of my colleagues in Bedford has the same and is very self concious of them. The NHS audiology clinics that I have taken grannie to (she is 97) have been brilliant and I would definitely access the service via the NHS if I felt I needed it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted April 4, 2013 Share Posted April 4, 2013 My mum's one is very small and that was NHS. Although she spent most of her time with it switched off so the batteries lasted for ages! I think the sudden noise is too much and instead of persevering she chose to be a pain in the bottom! I think you get used to it eventually and you are young (well in my books you are!). On the other hand my FIL has one and he loves it. If all else fails . . . ear trumpet! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Goosey Lucy Posted April 4, 2013 Share Posted April 4, 2013 I buy my batteries from ebay. They work out a fraction of the price in the shops (60 batteries for £12.75) and last about a week but that's with 15 hours a day use. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...