SarahGlymond

Chickens and Rats

No, it's not automatic that you will get rats if you have chickens - but it's a possibility. Bringing food in at night will help, and if you do find you have rats then secure bait boxes with poison in is the best way to deal with them.

Rats are around all the time and are just as likely to be attracted by your neighbours' bird table or compost heap as they are by the chicken food. I've never had a rat problem so far.

Ditto all of the above...

I had rats last summer and managed to get rid of them with lots of traps and, in the end, an air rifle for the 2 cheeky ones that managed to dodge all of the traps BUT I did leave the food and water out :shameonu:

Since I've been bringing it in at night and being scrupulously clean, I haven't had any more problems :dance: , I also leave a baited snap trap out 24/7 on the off chance.

It also depends on what kind of run they'll be having? Walk in runs are, I imagine, virtually impossible to rat proof unless you use a mesh with small holes in all the way around however i believe omlet ones may be rat proof? A concrete / slab floor will certainly help.

Apparently if you plant mint / lavender / other smelly plants around the edge of the run then these will help to deter the rats in the first place but there are mixed opinions on this, I guess they just help to mask the smell of the food. :think:

Enjoy your chicken shopping and remember to leave space for a couple more because you WILL get morehens disease :lol: !