LolaLayla Posted April 10, 2013 Share Posted April 10, 2013 So agree, blink and you would have missed the cushion making! I meant to look online as I wonder if there are instructions with measurements etc available. Possibly only in the advertised book! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted April 10, 2013 Share Posted April 10, 2013 I only saw a bit of it but I loved the pocket challenge. To begin with I didn't think they had much talent but now it is coming out. I can't imagine the stress of sewing to such a short deadline and no frogging Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted April 10, 2013 Share Posted April 10, 2013 I watched it with Lauren this afternoon and it's growing on me. I couldn't keep up with the cushion cover either, I'd have to keep pausing the recording Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted April 10, 2013 Share Posted April 10, 2013 I've just watched the second episode. what happened to the woman who took ill in the first episode? She didn't get so much as a mention in the second. I'd like to see a bit more basic stuff demonstrated too. Am enjoying it though. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted April 10, 2013 Share Posted April 10, 2013 I've just watched the second episode. what happened to the woman who took ill in the first episode? She didn't get so much as a mention in the second. I'd like to see a bit more basic stuff demonstrated too. Am enjoying it though. I fast forwarded the beginning so I wondered if I'd missed an announcement? Wasn't she called Jane?, there wasn't a Jane in this second episode. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Goosey Lucy Posted April 11, 2013 Share Posted April 11, 2013 There's a page here which shows some clips but I can't see the cushion tutorial. I found the programme interesting in places but couldn't follow what they were doing Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LolaLayla Posted April 11, 2013 Share Posted April 11, 2013 Thanks for the link GL. Had a quick look at the 'how to shorten jeans' one. Think it might look a bit odd though Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted April 12, 2013 Share Posted April 12, 2013 I just had to watch that three times to get my head round it! It looks ok on the ones she has done. Last time I had to do this I just shortened them the usual way and decided "Ooops, word censored!"ody was going to notice that there was no contrast topstitching. It's a clever trick. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted April 12, 2013 Share Posted April 12, 2013 I have enjoyed the first two, these sort of programmes are as much about the characters involved as the skills. I felt that Tilly was trying to run before she could walk, she was obviously very creative but hadn't built up enough skills to do what she wanted. Mark was lovely but couldn't cope with the time constraints and modern techniques. The lovey Saville Row tailor is very easy on the eye and impossibly well groomed. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LolaLayla Posted April 12, 2013 Share Posted April 12, 2013 Had a look at the book today in Smiths and sure enough is has detailed instructions for the cushion etc. Do agree about the tailor Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
welovemarmite Posted April 21, 2013 Share Posted April 21, 2013 sent hubbie out for book today. Tesco, waterstones and whsmith all sold out, so had to resort to amazon. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LolaLayla Posted April 22, 2013 Share Posted April 22, 2013 sent hubbie out for book today. Tesco, waterstones and whsmith all sold out, so had to resort to amazon. That was a shame it had sold out. I think in Smiths there was a deal so possibly that is why it flew off the shelves. I have really got into the show now and admire Ann's work so much. I think it is how calmly she works that impresses me. I would just be panicking Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bramble Posted April 22, 2013 Share Posted April 22, 2013 Ann is incredible, I so hope she wins, he attention to detail is just amazing. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted April 22, 2013 Share Posted April 22, 2013 Ann is definitely the sort of old lady that I aspire to be one day, she is elegant feisty and has a real zest for life. She doesn't like criticism though, I wouldn't like to get n the wrong side of her. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted April 22, 2013 Share Posted April 22, 2013 I love her as well, hope she wins. Anyone know what the projects are going to be? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
redbug Posted April 23, 2013 Share Posted April 23, 2013 I think Anne will win too, very knowledgeable. I will have to watch it later on I player out this evening. I think the that it is only 4 episodes I think it as finished very quickly. If they do a second series maybe be longer series. Instead of 2 out each week just have 1 instead. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
welovemarmite Posted April 23, 2013 Share Posted April 23, 2013 i have my book. Going to pick a simple project to start with. So, will it be pyjama bottoms, cushion cover, laundry bag or patchwork throw.. Thinking of using some calico and tie dyeing it! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted April 23, 2013 Share Posted April 23, 2013 Oh yes but make sure you show us Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted April 23, 2013 Share Posted April 23, 2013 I saw somewhere today that they're already looking for people for the next series....... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted April 23, 2013 Share Posted April 23, 2013 Go on then Lesley Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted April 23, 2013 Share Posted April 23, 2013 You must be joking!! - I only sew things I can finish (erm....nearly finish ) in an hour - I'd be no good on there! I'm training Lauren up ready though Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bramble Posted April 24, 2013 Share Posted April 24, 2013 I saw somewhere today that they're already looking for people for the next series....... They asked people to volunteer for next series at the end of last night's show ... I'm already looking forward to it (WATCHING the next series I mean, NOT taking part in it!!!!) Definitely the right result, I thought? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chickendoodle Posted April 24, 2013 Share Posted April 24, 2013 I thought Ann's shirt was amazing and her evening dress was just beautiful - don't know how she managed to match up all the lace patterns. The bag was a little bit indifferent but that is obviously not her thing. Next season will probably see some much better contestants generally - series 2 of Bake Off had much better people once the programme had been aired. I think they should probably skip the "how to make" bit as for amateurs the instructions were too fast and for people who already sew they were probably a bit basic! Would like to see Patrick at work in Savile Row but I daresay it would be seen as advertising so the BBC can't do it Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
welovemarmite Posted April 24, 2013 Share Posted April 24, 2013 just seeing more of patrick would be nice..... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
redbug Posted April 24, 2013 Share Posted April 24, 2013 Loved the bit at the end saying what all the contestants are up to now. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...