soapdragon

Astra - anyone know anything? (SKODA!) update

My car is, like its owner, getting on a bit and gradually falling apart and so I am going to look at an Astra 1.8 tomorrow - its a 2004 so 8/9 years old. It has low mileage, 35,000, and two owners (same family tho) and is up for sale through a local garage at £2 750 (slightly over budget but I could stretch a little for a decent warranty/tax/tank of petrol etc :oops: !) Its very high spec with all sorts I won't use for the school run...heated seats etc!

It sounds almost too good to be true :think: and I cant help being a bit sceptical (or just plain cynical!) Does anyone know anything about Astras/Vauxhall? I have only had a Metro, two basic Polos and, currently, an ancient Rover 214 so really havn't a clue!

Any help/info would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance :lol:

Edited by Guest

Yes, mileage is low for year but then it was on my current car - which belonged to an elderly gent who only used it for the supermarket run and the odd visit to Cousin Peggy! I suspect that this car is a 'more mature' persons car too and so am not unduly worried esp if it has all the paperwork which I think it does.

Its more that I know absolutely nothing about Vauxhall/Astras! I have a suspicion that its possibly 'a good deal' as Astras are not as trendy as some other cars (Polos/Golfs etc) but I am planning to call the garage in the morning, quiz them a bit and, if the answers sound good, pop over in the afternoon. However, if there are any Vauxhall/Astra owners out there who can add anything to the mix, it would be very helpful! :clap:

Spoke to OH. Potential issue with any low mileage car is that it has only been used for short runs. So, check state of oil and take off the oil filler cap - look for "mayonnaise" which indicated emulsified oil (engine not being warmed up due to short runs). Specifically on Astra 1.8 petrol, check whether timing belt has been changed. It's due at 40k miles - sooner, if you work on time, so should have already been done - and it's not a cheap job, as it also needs all the pulleys and the waterpump. Check for any clutch judder - a known problem linked to the flywheel on pre-2007 models. As always, look for a full service history, preferably from a main dealer network. Check the AC works (if fitted), all the central door locking and the electric windows. And insist on a warranty (or purchase a third party one).

I know absolutely nothing about cars but we had a Vauxhall Astra 1.4 for about 10 years - my local garage always said it was a really good car and to be fair, we never had any problems with it. We've recently replaced it with another Astra, a 1.6 estate, which we're really happy with too - so far so good anyway.

Not sure that helps much though!

My only caveat with Astras is that they don't seem to like being used for a lot of long runs.

two friends got 1.8s of around the age of the one you're mentioning. One is used for short/medium runs and is as good as the day they bought it (about 3 years ago). The other is used for long motorway runs and is falling to bits! It's done a little more mileage than the other, but really it's like a car that's done twice as many miles. A 1.8 should manage a fair bit of mileage, but this car seems much happier pootling around locally

We've got a 54 reg Astra 1.4, we've had it from a year old & think it had only been used by the dealership before that so hardly any mileage. We love it & have never had any major probs with it, our mileage has just gone over 55k, only things we've had repaired are bits that wear out after certain age/mileage. Our friend is a mechanic and does all the servicing, he thinks it's a great car, but thinks we may have to change it in the next year or two. Ours does regular runs to Yorkshire and has been to Spain and Holland. I didn't think we'd get more than £1500 for it part-ex, but then we haven't actually asked anybody.

Well, having got another ins quote etc I called the garage this morning and they sold it last week but had 'forgotten' to take it off the website :twisted:

I am off to look at an 02 Skoda Fabia with 44 000 miles on Friday morning and will probably buy it if it drives OK. OH says Skodas are really VWs and good and solid! Will certainly give me the space I need - am only slightly bothered by the fact it has had 5 owners, the last a local lady who PX'd it for an £8 000 Polo.

Still the garage are offering £200.00 for my old car which I was going to s"Ooops, word censored!" for £150.00 anyway. Doing it this way will make getting shot of the old one easier and the Skoda will come serviced and with a 6 month warranty from a well known local garage (actually bought the old car from the same people 9 years ago!) I will examine the paperwork carefully; it will be HPI checked but not sure how much other accompanying info comes with it! :think:

Anyone had any experience of Skoda Fabias (D&R!) :lol:

I like Skodas. My dad had a Skoda (the bigger one :oops::D ) and loved it

SIL has a Skoda Fabia and loves it :D we drove it back from a weekend away when they had to shoot off early and its nice to drive :D

I dont know if that was any use, but I would buy a Skoda in the future :D .

Cathy

x

My FIL has a Skoda, he's had it from brand new since last year. He thinks it's brilliant and tries to convince everyone to buy a Skoda now. I've heard they're basically VW's, in fact our mechanic friend says they are better than VW's now.

Shame about the Astra, hope you strike lucky with the Skoda

Thanks, Clare! Off to see said Skoda tomorrow am in Kidlington! We have read reviews ad infinitum and it does seem a reasonable deal :) will check the paperwork, have a torch to look under the seats for wear etc and have decided to buy if they will either discount £200.00 or put a years tax on (= £200.00!)

Tax on my current wreck runs out on 31st Aug so do have time to play with (which I WILL bring to the attention of the chap tomorrow!! :lol: )

However, this does look like the perfect workhorse-loads of boot room (esp for several pairs of 'willies'! :lol: ) and solid! The garage is affiliated to one in Wheatley - v close to us if it needs to go back under the 6 months warranty! I drive (ho, ho!) a hard bargain so will be interesting tomorrow!! :shock:

Saw the Skoda and really liked it but now the insurance is causing a problem; I renewed current car in Feb at £182 fully comp and now they want another £179 to change it to the Skoda and are adamant that this is correct. If I go to Compare the Market and get a new quote for the Skoda the same broker comes back with £214! There are other quotes at £182 and £191 so I am furious that the broker is charging £179 just to change my old Rover to the Skoda.

Currently I am waiting for a manager to call me back; I asked about cancelling the old policy and starting a new one and was told that I would then loose the £182 that I paid in Feb :twisted: This CAN'T be right, can it?

Just getting fed up with this (so you probably are too! :roll: )

Decided I wanted the Skoda so called Insurance broker back and said I was not happy etc - they agreed to provide new insurance at the £213.something rate and give me back £107.55 from the £181 I had paid in Feb so now all sorted - collapses dramatically onto the sofa - Skoda on its way next week once it has been serviced, 6 months taxed and generally tidied up.

How hard can it be! :evil::lol:

I hope you're as happy with it as I have been with the 3 Skoda's which I've had. My parents are still driving the first one and I've put 95,000 miles on the current one (Fabia vRS), which I love.

I once had a boss who was s"Ooops, word censored!"bish about it until I asked him whether his BMW had a chilled drinks compartment like my Skoda does. :lol:

I hope you're as happy with it as I have been with the 3 Skoda's which I've had. My parents are still driving the first one and I've put 95,000 miles on the current one (Fabia vRS), which I love.

I once had a boss who was s"Ooops, word censored!"bish about it until I asked him whether his BMW had a chilled drinks compartment like my Skoda does. :lol:

OOOh, I like the sound of the chilled drinks compartment 8) Not sure one of those was on the details but you have clearly had positive experiences and that's very reassuring - thanks!

Having now committed to it (just waiting for the garage to complete the full service, check the head and tax it before collecting it) I am amazed at how many Skoda are around...hadn't noticed before!

Have just picked up said Skoda and am very relieved! Service history shows genuine 44 078 miles with some gaps of only a couple of thousand between services (in on case just UNDER 1 000!) Poor thing wont know what hit it!

Enourmous boot which will fit at least four children - 5 if I takeout the parcel shelf! Havn't found the 'fridgy compartment thingy yet but it was belting down on the way home so I was concentrating on just driving! Just have to amend proposal form and e -mail it to broker with copy driving licence and we are all done!

The brokers have been a nightmare to deal with; I am sorely tempted to just go to the big three (Aviva, Churchill and Direct Line) who are not on the comparison sites next time! :wall:

Thanks for wise words everyone!