Minnie&Moose

Molly's progress - looking good!

Earlier this week one of our kittens seemed a little 'off'. Nothing specific, just not playing much and not quite right. The vet took a good look at him and then dropped a bombshell - he thought Archie might have feline infectious peritonitis. So - now we're waiting for the results of various tests which hopefully will be able to confirm whether he's likely to have this or not. If he does, it's untreatable and fatal (but we won't let him hang on getting more and more sick if that's the case). In the meantime we have a sad and miserable Archie kitten (just wants food and cuddles) and a very confused Molly kitten (his sister) who can't understand why her lovely playmate no longer wants to play or cause mayhem with her :cry:

Edited by Guest

Just had a phone call from the vet - Archie's blood results aren't looking good. But until we get in all the results we won't be any closer to having an answer. And to make matters worse - if it looks like he does have it we will then have to monitor Molly very closely because she could also develop it :(

Molly's still fine fortunately. We have to wait until early next week for the final results - hard because Archie's condition is deteriorating very rapidly so I may end up having him euthanized before the results are in. He's still eating and still asking for cuddles - but that's all he's doing at the moment :(

Thanks for all your replies. The vet confirmed this afternoon that, now that all the results are in, there's little doubt that poor little Archie has FIPV. So, first thing tomorrow I'm taking Archie in to be put to sleep. A very short little life - but he certainly made a very big impression on his household and we're going to miss him for quite some time.

Aw, I really am so, so sorry to hear that. I have been thinking about your sad predicament all weekend & hoping for the best. Sounds like he is well loved though, so a loved boy even if it has been a short life.

Is Molly still doing ok? Don't want to ask, but what is the next step? Does she get tested too?

Best wishes for the task ahead.

Thanks Gertie - Molly's still OK. We've decided to delay spaying her by at least a few weeks, just to let her adjust to life without Archie. My understanding is that we could have her tested to see if she currently has antibodies to the corona virus but (i) she may not yet have converted to being seropositive for them so a negative result won't necessarily mean she's clear, and (ii) all we'll know, if she is seropositive, is that she's been in contact with the corona virus - we won't know whether it's mutated into the FIPV form or not. So for now we're going to just watch her carefully (she's staying in until after she's been spayed - last thing she needs is to get pregnant) and minimise the risk of further stresses to try and give her the best chance we can. This will be a new one for me though - I've never had a single kitten - the few kittens I've had have all come as sibling pairs so we're currently figuring out how to make sure she gets enough company from her human playmates during the working day. Fortunately I can work at home for part of most days at the moment so hopefully she won't have to spend the whole day on her own - and I have a couple of student volunteers who will come in and play with her on those days when we're all out for the whole day - it feels like I'm organising child care!

Thanks everyone. Archie was put to sleep first thing this morning, after an evening of being spoilt rotten. I'm glad it's over for him - he was a lovely lad and had the makings of a wonderful family cat. We're all just sad that we didn't get the opportunity to know him for longer.

How are you and Molly after today's events? I hope that the student playmates keep her so busy she won't have time to miss Archie.

It's a shame you can't get any closure on if Molly is resistant. I went to West Hatch Animal sanctuary a while ago & had a long chat with the cat keeper there about FIP. I do hope for a positive outcome for you both.

Best wishes

Thanks Gertie. Molly had a bit of a difficult night - which means we all had a bit of a difficult night! I expect she'll call and look for Archie for a while yet - but we're all playing with her and cuddling her. Students are all lined up for next week (both of them have house/chicken/cat sat for us in the past).

We have to decide whether to get Molly's bloods checked for antibodies when she's spayed (vet and I agree we should minimise the number of stressful things we put her through - the test would only really tell us whether she's met the FCoV or not and I'm not sure that will help us right now). We could have her antibody levels checked every 2-3 months to see if they decline (assuming they're there in the first place) but that would require repeated sedation and I'm not sure how valuable that information would be, since we can't delay spaying by too long, and my understanding is that the only possible advantage of monitoring her like that would be as a way of trying to identify when would be the least risky time to put her through a surgical procedure. If we get to a point where we might consider introducing another cat as a playmate for her then we will have her checked (via repeated stool sample analysis) to see if she is a chronic FCoV shedder - because that would have implications for any incoming cat. But until then I think we just keep her as happy and healthy as we can and assume that it's unlikely that she will be affected the same way her brother was. There's nothing we can do about it so best to try not to think about it too much unless we're back in the position of having to.