The yellow one the roosting bars look seperate to me :?

It is a mark 2 (see the door and ventilation holes) - the daft 'nana has just got the roosting bars in upside down :lol:

I didn't know there was a right & wrong way to put the bars in.... I put them in so the cleanest side is uppermost :oops:

I originally had mine in the same way up as in the photo, but when James popped round once, he told me that they go in with the end cross bars uppermost. :oops: He said that it protects the ends of the bars from poo-fallout. :lol:

I ALWAYS wondered why they went that way up!

So obvious when you think about it isn't it! :D

I originally had mine in the same way up as in the photo, but when James popped round once, he told me that they go in with the end cross bars uppermost. :oops: He said that it protects the ends of the bars from poo-fallout. :lol:

Oops of course. :oops: Had been finding it difficult to get the poo out of these bits on my morning poo pick :oops:

Maybe we should set up a poll for how many of us have been doing it wrong :oops:

I've been doing it wrong!

This pic from the Omlet site show us how to do it!

green_lid_large.gif

However, I'm not changing as I'm not at all impressed with the staples they use to put the bars together.

I think they may give way under the weight of the hens if I put the bars the "right" way round!

I think they may give way under the weight of the hens if I put the bars the "right" way round!

I think you may be right - one of my sets snapped in 2 this weekend - and they are only a few weeks old. OH is going to make some - knowing him they will be indestructible :lol:

They shouldn't snap Egluntine - the end of each bar should be resting on the ledges at each side of the eglu. There was a phase when some of the roosting bars they were getting in from their supplier were pretty badly stapled - Omlet seem to have sorted that out now.

You are right of course now that I think about it properly! :oops:

I won't change the way I put them in though....it might confuse the hens. :lol:

However, I'm not changing as I'm not at all impressed with the staples they use to put the bars together.

I agree! Mine are the other way up too because when I pushed them into place, one of the bars came off all together :shock: The wrong way up, I can push the bars against the side supports. Perhaps they should be top and bottom?

I agree! Mine are the other way up too because when I pushed them into place, one of the bars came off all together :shock: The wrong way up, I can push the bars against the side supports. Perhaps they should be top and bottom?

Mine did that too one day when I put them in the 'right way up' and them I thought silly bint, no wonder that happened, you put them in upside down - as they are quite a tight fit. My strength obviously knows no bounds (unless I am on the step machine / excercise bike / rowing machine - when I suddenly go all feeble). Anyway - I digress :lol: I then proceeded to continue to put them in 'upside down' as I had always done, beleiving i was doing it correctly. Then this weekend one of the support bars snapped clean in 2 :shock: - must have been that inner strength again!

I don't know why, but this thread makes me giggle.

Not because people have snapped their bars, just the thought of all those eglu owners going to their eglus and turning the bars over.

And as for the chickens getting upset by it.... :roll::lol::lol::lol::roll:

I've always alternated the way up I put the bars to give them even wear (and so that the most scrubbed and wetter side is always down).

It works well, and I have no intention of ceasing this practice now that you have told me what the correct way up should be.

Hi - well mine go in the wrong way too. They didn't look right - the right way round somehow & a bit flimsy. The times I've had to hammer them back together......& those staples! :shock:

I also think the chooks can grip the bars better, when they are the wrong way round...I'd have thought this better for the chhoks feet. I know any other bird when they roost, roost on perches or branches and curl their feet round them. It is recommended for Parrots and the like. There are strict rules for parrot perches & they are of similar size to a chook!

I'm sticking to my way - the wrong way. It's no hassle taking the roosting bars out & giving them a good scrub where the poo gets trapped.

Emma.x

The staples in my Eglu bars were terrible so I replaced them with good solid jobs which have been fine. The new Cube staples are worse - and the bars are actually uneven lengths. I'm going to make a brand new set.

Funny - everything else seems solid, well designed and well put together, but the bars are very poorly done.

Sorry Omlet - I don't like to be critical as the rest of the product is superb!