sparkysmum

does anyone know what make this moped is ?

Hi, an auctioneer just up the road from us is auctioning this moped next week. It was first registered in 2011.although we will go to see it before the auction, I was wondering if anyone knows what make this moped is and what it might be worth. If it was in good running order and if we won it we would only use it for tootling around locally. Thanks for your help :D:D Alli x lot12_jpg.jpg

Looks like an un-branded import to me. The pitfalls of those are no dealer support, no parts available and are very unreliable. So many people rush out and buy these imports brand new because they are so cheap and readily available on the internet, the buyer even has to put them together as they arrive in bits :doh:

I personally wouldn't touch it with a barge pole but that's just my opinion (and probably the thousands of people that have bought them in the past :roll: )

According to OH, Lifan are Chinese and best avoided here. A lot sell in the far east and Australasia, where ther are supported.

As regards, recommendations, it depends on what you are looking for. Assuming its a 50cc for a beginner, you are best sticking with a known make. Theres enough to worry about when on the road without having to think about reliability as well. ES had a Sym (which was OK until he wrote it off), then a Gilera 125. YS had a Yamaha Jogr, which was very good, and quite compact (but then moved on to proper bikes).

My ES has a Pulse Scout 49cc - which has earned him some ribbing from his mates because its Chinese and there's a Sym dealer in the local town where most of them got their bikes from.

However, we got it from a local (in the other direction 8 miles) dealer who has serviced it and where the mechanics have been great with him and not patronising to me. And what is more, we got the scooter, tax, jacket, helmet, insurance and a year's worth of servicing for less than the price of the Sym. The 'ped was "only" £695 new, whereas Syms seem to start at £1000ish