paulad

Please help

Really dont know what to do. Think we must be rubbish chicken keepers.

Had 4 chucks about a month now, in the second week one died, no reasom,

Now are older bird, not sure how old, is on her last legs.

She has been poorly but has been getting much much better. Until yesterday, our other 2 started pulling her feathers out, didnt think too much of it but today i have come home from work. doris can hardly walk, she was underneath the coop ladder and the other 2 have pecked off loads of the feathers off her back and drawn blood.

I think probably the kindest thing to do is take her to the vets and have her put down,

Im soo sad

Please help x

Thinking maybe we shoudl rehome the other two aswell as we dont seem to be very good at this.

Doris is our favourite, she has just eaten lots of meal worms and had a drink but shes not looking good

Hi Paula's, sorry it's been such a bad start. They do tend to pick on sickly ones, so I would take her to the vet and see if there's anything that can be done. As you say she is older, and it might just be her time. If she isn't really poorly you can seperate the bully for a while, and try the purple spray

If your others are pol age it might be worth getting another 2 from a reputable breeder, but if you do that please read the stuff on intros. It does sound like you've had bad luck so don't be too disheartened.

The others will have sensed that she is unwell and this may have triggered the attack; I would take the poorly hen out of the equation, bathe her wounds with some warm water and sprinkle with vet wound powder to help staunch the bleeding. Give her a couple of days on her won to see if she rallies but if she doesn't show any signs of improvement, or gets worse in (say) 36 hours then I'd pop her to a chicken-savvy vet for a look.

Purple spray is an antiseptic and will disguise the colour of blood, but it's not a pecking deterrent as such.

If the other hens look to be getting a pecking habit then I'd suggest fitting them with bumper bits to catch the habit early on.

Oh Paul ,I am sorry ,You are not rubbish just going though a bit of bad luck.

Have they enough space?

Where did you get your girls from ? you say one is older .Maybe you could get a couple of really young chickens.You do seem to care about them so please don't give up they are such a joy ..

If you remember I wrote on here about my little Annie being bullied because she was unwell. She is fine now and the bullying has stopped. If their is a leader of the bullying if it goes on try separating her to take her down a peg or two.

There is always help on here and we have all been through a dodgy time or two but the good out weighs the bad by miles ...Don't give up .

Many thanks for all your replies.

We kept her in the kitchen overnight and have put her in the garage today while we are at work with a lovely fresh bed, lots of water and food - will see what we find tonight. It is horrible to see her in a sorry state and if she doesnt perk up soon i think we might have to go to the vet and get her put to sleep

thanks for all your replies it really does help

aww thank you - its so hard and i know we have probably just had an unlucky start.

I know we have given them a good life, no matter how short, so hopefully things will get better !

this forum keeps me going ! Its hard being a newbie isnt it !

Last year I felt exactly the same - my flock became really ill, one sadly died and I just didn't seem to do anything right! But it does get better and I think bad luck seems to come in waves, and it can all seem overwhelming.

I got amazing advice off the members of this site and kept going. I got to admit I wanted to throw in the towel several times - mainly over bullying as it's just so horrible to see. I am glad I didn't give in though, it does get to a point when the stress goes away and you will start to enjoy having chickens.

I think the advice you've had over age is definitely one to look at - I am no expert on this but it's interesting that you say the one being bullied is older. Can you contact the person you got the chickens from for any advice? I personally think iodine works very well and I choose this over purple spray now (and I have tried everything I could get my hands on!)

I really hope your girl improves! Remember you are doing everything you can - that's very important to remember!

x

thank you

yes we tried to contact the supplier on a couple of occasions as it hasnt been an easy road ! They have only said to bring them back to them so they can have a look - well it was quite a journey to get there and im not sure Doris wud survive a road trip anyway. We tried to call them and although they tried to call us back once my husband was at work so cudnt take the call. I dont really have much confidence in them to be honest now - although they were recommended.

the birds came with a 6 months guarantee but i dont think we will bother with that supplier again

i think if we were more experienced this all wouldnt seem so bad but because we have only had them a month it feels like we must be doing something wrong.

Very sad to say Doris is now running free in the chicken coop in the sky.

She really was so poorly last night we took her to the vet and they agreed she needed to be put to sleep. Peritonis as we suspected.

So 2 dead in a month, not very good going, but think we have just been very unlucky :(

Hi

I am a new henmother too. I have four hens and have gone through a rough patch with my girls - it would seem just because I introduced wood chippings to the floor of the permanent run. They hated them. In the end I did remove most of them because I thought there were too many when I did it. This seems to have initiated bullying of the youngest hen. It was awful to see so I did what I think was the worst thing which was shouted at the dominant hens (there seem to be two who alternate position) to stop them. Now things have calmed down a little but I am afraid to give them treats because I don't want them to fight over them. The youngest always misses out. I know that the girl third in line gets pecked now and again but she seems more diplomatic than the youngest one and treads a fine line better making sure she doesn't get pecked.

Also they now won't go into the run when I have to go out.

I like them to free range when I'm home. I work from home and have to go out occasionally. At first I could tempt them into the run with corn but since the bullying incidents I cannot get them to go in when I need them to because they don't trust me anymore.

I have no idea what to do.

don't think im really the right person to reply as after a month we have had 2 hens die and another one is poorly tonight - seriously thinking of giving it all up :(

what I would say though is - mine never were very bothered about corn as a "treat" What I find works is mealworms - only a few though - what I shake the pot they come running...as they have got to know us better they do just follow us now and go into the coop themselves

good luck