paulad

Eglu - YAY

I have just won an Eglu on Ebay - yippee !!! !

Need to get some roosting bars but Im so excited - cant wait to pick it up - gotta try and flog the wooden coop now to pay for it !!

WE have also decided to splash out and buy a walk in run too !!

how many hens go in the eglu - i havbe read 3 or 4 ??

How exciting :dance: Well done you :D

If you are building a WIR then that will give your chickens lots of room during the day, (which is what is really important) so you only need think about how many chooks can fit in the eglu at night (on a hot one) - Were you thinking of standard girls or banties? I would imagine it could take 3 biggies or 4 banties but others may know better. I looked on the Omlet shop and it does not seem to say :think:

Is it a rabbit eglu or an eglu used by a rabbit.

If it is a rabbit eglu it will have a base like this

http://www.omlet.co.uk/shop/chicken_keeping/converter_kits/285/converter_kit_-_chicken_to_rabbit_-_purple/

If that is the case you can buy this conversion kit

http://www.omlet.co.uk/shop/rabbit_products/converter_kits/293/converter_kit_-_rabbit_to_chicken_-_purple/

What colour is it?

Chrissie

I have two (purple eglu) s, a (blue eglu) and a (cube purple) . With a mixture of eglu runs and WIR.

I started off with my (purple eglu) and 4 hybrid girls, 2 from Omlet and 2 from a local breeder.

I now have 5 hybrids, 2 lay !eggwhite! , 2 lay !egggreen! and the other one is Latte one of my original four.

I then had three ex batts, I only have one left now, Agnes.

Last year I hatched some bantam eggs in an incubator. It was a great experience, greatly helped by the fact that the eggs came from a very knowledgable Omleteer who gave me lots of useful advice. Following my first hatch last Easter I kept 5 bantams, 2 welsummers, 1 gold laced wyandotte, 1 silver barred wyandotte and Tumble my little Silkie boy who hatched 4 days before he was due much to my shock.

Then last summer I hatched some more Silkies and from that hatch I had two black and one white silkie.

Chickens are very adictive. :D

Do you know what chickens you will get?

Chrissie

wow you have lots and lots !!

well we started off with 4 hens - a blue haze, a ranger, a white sussex and a copper black. only just recently - beginning of june I think.

had a few traumatic weeks though and lost 2 of them very quickly - one we think just broke her neck or had heart failure the other had peritonitis - so we were put off for a bit to be honest.

we are left with the blue haze and sussex - we decided we wud make the run bigger before we got anymore but I think we are now ready to try with another 2 and be back up to 4 BUT the set up cos so much - but want to get it right this time so we will make sure we have a big WIR before we get the new ones.

would like to try ex bats at some point but not yet

If you have had some bad experiences and need a bit of a break from the grim reaper knocking at your door, why not get a couple of standard sized pure breeds that lay nice eggs e.g. a RIR or a Marans? It is of course not always the case, but as a rule the pure breed chooks live longer and are less likely to have things like peritonitis :think: