Peachy77

Vent Gleet??

One of our girls has some feather loss around her vent, is smelly, and had creamy colour discharge from vent. Could thus be vent gleet? Haven't come across this before. Definitely not mites/lice. Have bathed her. And was going to get some probiotic yoghurt, acv and have read you can use anti fungal cream such as canesten and athletes feet cream. Any other ideas/suggestions. Many thanks.

Hi

One of my girls did suffer with this after a course of antibiotics - basically it is a bout of thrush they go through and it is really unpleasant for them, but sortable.

My girl had around 4 tablespoons of yoghurt every morning - before any other food - so that it goes into an empty crop. I also mixed in some Avipro powder which you can get on line. This is a pro and prebiotic powder and gave her a big boost and sped up the healing time. As you say, there was ACV in the water to help too, along with a clove of fresh garlic which I just dropped into the water - she seemed to enjoy the water even more when this was added :lol:

She did end up with the equivalent of a burn to her skin due to the discharge which came on very quickly and turned black overnight. I took her back to the vet and they removed the sore gently with warm water and cotton wool and gave me Canaural ear drops (I know!) which I added to a spray bottle and sprayed on each day. They have an antifungal in them which killed off the problem from the outside. She sleeps in the nest box so I had to change the bedding every day.

I did feel that the yoghurt and Avipro did the real trick though. It did seem like it was never going to go and then stopped of a sudden so don't give up - you will be able to sort it if you keep on every day with the treatment.

Thank you for your replies. Bathed the last two nights, and tried to give her some yoghurt with apple in last night and this morning, but she isn't that interested. Sure was in the coop when I went to work, and is still there when I came in. So she may have been there all day. May bring her inside from the others to try and get some food/water into her.

It may not be vent gleet then. She could have an infection of her oviduct etc which causes them to pass lots of fluid. It's best done by a vet but if you were to feel in the egg laying tubes the tissue would feel gritty and maybe an egg there as well.

I would get to a vet or you could lose her. Sorry :( just my opinion.