Grandmashazzie

Lemon Drizzle Cake

I am quite new to baking,only a year since getting chicks and having to use up all the eggs . L D C is a favourite but I cannot get the sugar and lemon to set on top.I dissolve them in a pot and let cake cool then pour over,have also tried putting it on hot cake it just soaks in.All the pics show a hardened glaze but mine never turn out like that anything else I should be doing?

I use granulated sugar for the drizzle, it is supposed to sink in and add moisture and flavour. When it's cool, I make up some icing with icing sugar and lemon juice, which I drizzle over the top for a crispy effect.

Whenever I make LDC, the drizzle seems to soak in rather than create the crispy, sugary topping. However, I think it's the taste that counts, so just leave it as it is! If I really want some crunch then I sprinkle a little granulated sugar on top.

I thought it was supposed to. I pierce the top with a skewer to get a lovely mushy lemon soaked top :D mmmmmmm

I made a lemon drizzle cake last night (for a cake sale, much to hubby's disappointment :lol: ) and, I think, achieved the perfect balance between lemon soaked, squidgy sponge and crispy top.

I followed the lemon drizzle recipe on the Omlet Wiki (foolproof - I always use this recipe for lemon drizzle) but instead of making glacé icing I sprinkled the top of the cake with sugar immediately after pouring over the lemon juice. It was perfect (if I do say so myself :lol: ) and it took all my strength to part with such a delicious cake!

I made 2 for film show for the Oap's at church (used DM's recipe off Omlet) super delish and came out good as per usual. I am getting a name for myself as the Lemon drizzle lady (could be worse) :lol:

Yes Clare theres several I come back to time and time again - your drizzle cake as mentioned, flapjacks (esp choc ones) and the easiest ever fruit cake. I have also tried the easy lemon tart - my girls are on strike at present - free loading going on - 1 miserable egg a day :roll: "theres a whole lotta moultin' going on in the world "(well my world) so I have had to buy eggs in :twisted: but tried and tested are the best I think. :D

Yes, I love the lemon tart too (poet's recipe) and have made it many times and had many compliments on it.

I keep meaning to make the easy fruit cake but just haven't got round to it yet... Too many other yummy recipes to make!

So glad you both like my recipe - Goosey Lucy is a sucker for that cake

Not just me, ES adores it too.

I might just have to make one tomorrow...