Olly

Stray dog advice please!

About 11 PM last night I got home and noticed a small dog trotting up the street - I assumed the owner was walking behind, but "Ooops, word censored!"ody appeared. Meanwhile the dog came over, wagged his tail and then ambled up my drive and sat at the front door! He's extremely friendly, and has a collar but no ID tag. After about 10 minutes, "Ooops, word censored!"ody had appeared and I wasn't happy leaving him loose on a busy road. He's currently in my garage with a blanket and a bowl of water.

Now, the problem is that the local dog warden service only works on weekdays. What do I do? I can take him to my vet to see if he's microchipped, but I'm due to be out all day today and with two cats, he can't really stay with me. Will the RSPCA collect, do you think?

On a more pragmatic point, I only have cat food - will it be ok to give him some for breakfast? I've never owned a dog.

I am afraid I don't have much info to help but does your local radio have a lost and found pet section. Rutland Radio does they make announcements for lost and found animals and I think put it on their website too.

Sorry not a lot of help. I hope you manage to sort him out, well done for taking him in and keeping him safe.

Chrissie

Well done Olly, poor wee lad should have been tagged :roll:

A lot of councils now also operate their own (free) tagging service, where each dog is given a numbered tag, which corresponds to records (including a photo of the dog) on the council's records; this makes it much easier and quicker for the DW to reunite them with their owners.

For future information; most vets will have the DW's out-of-hours number, or will be happy to board the dogs while it's waiting to be collected. With all the dog thefts going on now, you'd think folks would be more careful.

Glad there was a happy ending.

When I was at the vet before Christmas a lady had brought a dog in that she had found, it was chipped and the vets contacted the owner who had a right go at the vets, and along the way must have got hold of the ladies number and had a right go at her too as now he had to get to the vets to collect his dog :roll:

You really can't help some people but more worringly the lady might think twice now if she finds another loose dog.

I know, the people who kick off like that are often the ones who don't take much care of the safety of their dogs; there are two persistent offenders near us....

1. A Weimerraner belonging to the owner of a local bar - it is left to roam at will around town, and terrorise other dogs in the park near us. It isn't dangerous to humans, but is a big bouncy dog that could easily knock someone over. I know the local DW, and the last time he took it back, he issued the owner with a caution. Haven't seen the dog since, so I hope it's OK and he's just being more careful.

2. I live in a Victorian terraced house and an access alleyway runs up beside my house and along the top of 5 gardens, we back onto a street, where the houses don't have use of the alleyway, but have less than secure gardens. One wee black dog is always hoofing it down this alley and out onto our road, we have a gate onto the road, but the grumpy old boy next to me insists on keeping it pegged open :roll: I have popped the dog back in its garden a few times and tightened the fence, but last occasion, I took it back to the front door, and got a barrage of abuse from the fishwife who answered. I have reported it to the DW.

I took it back to the front door, and got a barrage of abuse from the fishwife who answered.

Charming :roll:

Last January when we had all the snow I found a little spaniel running down a lane on my way to work, it looked so disorientated. Stopped and got her in the car, rang the number on the tag and it turned out it wasn't that far from home, owners live in a huge pile of a place with loads of land. Woman say's I'll come to the gates and get her, 20 minutes later she drives down her drive to the gate and didn't even say thank you.

:roll: Money doesn't maketh manners then? :evil:

I am rapidly turning into Victor Meldrew, and will thank people who have forgotten their manners.

Definitely not, the family definitely think they own the place, to be fair they do own a substantial amount of the area :lol: used to have big red lorries until they sold out to the people with big green lorries.

But manner cost nothing and I would be so grateful if someone found my dog and went to the effort of making sure it was safely returned.

I got very Victor Meldrewish on the run in to Christmas, I don't do shops often and was amazed how many people think it's acceptable to push in! and then get all shirty when you pull them up on it :notalk: