kentuckyfried

Flying bees!

:D

I had been worrying about my 2 nationals- not had them open since December... I hadn't seen any signs of life at all.

Today, the sun was shining and warmer than it has been for ages, and I saw lots and lots of bees flying to and from both hives- I can't tell you the sense of relief! I knew they were low on food after hefting them, so I fed them too today.

Fingers crossed the next couple of months are kind to them.

Yes my bees are very active for the second day in a row thanks to the nice weather we have had on those two days. They are in a Purple Beehaus and have come through the winter fine. I have put a slab of pollen impregnated fondant on but they do not appear to be needing it which is good because it means that I calculated the stores they would need correctly - have more ready just in case. Cannot wait for a better run of weather to inspect them. Have just checked my stores and re-ordered for immediate needs and planning for later in the season. Let's hope we have a drier Spring than Winter!

I have two hives, side by side and one flies much earlier and more frequently than the other - I'm not sure if it's a more vigorous colony or whether the other hive is slightly more in the shade, but sometimes they are quiet when hive #2 is active. On a sunny day however I'd expect them both to be flying - see if you can hear anything, as OSH suggests. To be honest, there's not much you can do - if they're gone, they're gone. :(

My son last checked them at the end of January and said they were looking good. However I've got a bad feeling. There are a few dead bees in and around the hive. I haven't completely opened it but lifted off the top to see a few bees crawling around the spare frames that we leave in for winter, we do feed them too. I couldn't hear them buzzing. Think I might be donning the suit tomorrow, weather permitting :(

let us know how you get on with that :( I hope they are ok.

I am about to put a huge order for kit in- slightly worried about ordering the wrong thing!

I need supers, and frames to go in them, foundation for cut comb and spacers and a couple of porters for later in the season.

Think I am going to just do it and see what turns up.

kentuckyfried, porters are US in my opinion. Try a rhombus escape, much better and clears a super in a few hours.

I've gone one further and cut a rhombus in four putting a quarter in each corner of a clearer board....works a treat.

For cut comb I use either Manley frames and thin unwired foundation or better still, just a starter strip.

Chickabee... best of luck. By the way, what do you mean by "spare frames that you leave in the winter"?

Although I no longer have any bees, neighbours here in Portugal do and in fact there are hives everywhere. We have had a carpet of something like wild rocket in flower for over a month, its everywhere here under olive trees, alongside camomile and the bees work it furiously every day. In the last week of sun, almond, peach and other blossom is opening, in the numerous small orchards, so the bees are moving onto the trees, and they have also been in the camellias which grow in gardens from February, although a lot of these are double, so are more attractive to bumbles. It has felt like May and June feel in the UK in terms of the amount of activity, I'm a very interested observer :D