Doris

Yet another thread about run floorings........

Apologies all for another winter/wet/rain inspired thread!

Until we can move house and build a walk in run I am using the 3m Eglu run on the patio (the lawn is a swimming pool). Until recent weather I was having great success with aubiose - the run was covered with a clear tarp and lined with a tarp which came up the sides of the run so just the door end was open.

I'm not sure if it's just wind blowing rain in or if one of the tarps was leaking but I can no longer keep the aubiose dry. It is a soggy mess now.

I'm thinking of removing the tarp lining the run and replacing the aubiose with hard woodchip. My thinking is that the hard woodchip won't wick moisture up like aubiose does and if the run isn't lined there is more chance that water will run off and it could dry out between showers. I will still have the clear tarp covering the run.

I am reluctant to put the run back on my (now) ruined lawn in the spring as I want to try and reseed the lawn in preparation to sell the house. If they are on woodchip then at least when the weather is better I can remove the clear tarp so it doesn't become a greenhouse and it won't matter if it rains.

Sorry, this is more of a putting my thoughts in order post but I'd really like to hear how others are managing.

Hi, you are absolutely right, auboise + rain = soggy smelly mess. If you are keeping the run on the patio, then replacing the auboise with woodchip wood be a good idea. I have previously had a run in a similar location and used woodchip without any problems. my classic run was covered with corrugated plastic which covered the top and a bit of the sides, so that it kept the rain out but wasnt like a polytunnel. I think ANH has photos of her classic run which was similar. This might also be useful reading!

http://www.newlandpoultry.com/index.php/2014-01-31-22-04-44/chicken-run-mud-management

good luck keeping them off the grass :!: I frequently try this but my resolve weakens overnight :!: