coco

Spring is on its way

One of my columbines started laying again this week, she keeps giving the other columbine a superior look as if to say "I am the bestest you are a failure"

It is great when everyone comes back into lay.

Our newbies are laying and it seems to have triggered our old Tipsy into starting again. She was making quite a lot of arrrr arrrr arrrrrrrr sounds over a week before doing so. It's one of her signs - she always goes arrrrrr and runs to the nest box with her legs crossed (well not exactly but she certainly looks like she's trying to hold in somewhat). And what a huge egg it was too. Since then she's laid a couple more bigguns. Last year she did a double yolker - I have my fingers crossed. The other 2 oldies are not. I thought the pekin was colouring up nicely but have since discovered she is still coming out of a moult with the odd new feathers still in quill protectors! Same with the buff Sussex, only hers are now more visible on the top of her head. It must be one of the longest moults ever - like 4 months!!! The pekin only started before Christmas so is slightly excused. Can only think of lack of sun needed to grow the feathers - using their energy to keep warm instead of feathering up. At least they didn't go bald but did it in a sensible way over the winter! But we have at last scoffed 4 home grown eggs and have over half a dozen to chomp through - ooooh cakes! Bah - diet!