oneyolktoanother

Really need help please

I have a chook daisy she has been ill on and off since October it started with sneezing then heavy breathing then off off her food, she's had tylan, injections, fungi, and baytril she gets better then starts heavy breathing and sneezing again she has been in the house most of the time since October she has been out for 2 weeks and has started again luckily she is still eating and seems well in her self it the vet really doesn't know what to do apart from put her to sleep has anyone experienced similar or any ideas love all my pets but have got so close to her with her being with me all the time

Ps. I have been giving her citirdal

Oh dear, what a puzzle :? I really know what you mean :cry: I was very fond of my Florence who I hatched under a broody :D She was the sweetest thing and nearly died last spring of a mystery gastric illness, but with treatment from my fab vet and lots of TLC she recovered :clap: She had summer in the sun, did a full moult to my amazement as she never laid an egg with a shell after her illness, oh and she was top girl! But she got sour crop late dec and though we got her over that, some other infection over took her and she was PTS in jan :( She would have been 2 in may.

It's a dilemma for sure when to stop helping. All we can do is give them our best efforts for as happy and healthy life as poss. Does the vet think it's myco? Has she had a long course of antibiotics? Maybe she needs longer to recover....the damp can't help, if it's respiratory.

I guess for now just monitor her. I hope somebody will have more advice for you :D Keep us posted.

Our vet told us that once they have a respiratory infection it damages the lungs and they are far more susceptible to it repeating Oneyolktoanother. We had an Orpington cock with that problem and the slightest issue resulted in a repeat. Perhaps when the weather improves she will as well. Just need to make sure the coop has plenty of ventilation and the bedding is kept dry, even if it means leaving the pop-hole open.

Just to let you we lost daisy last week :cry: she got better so she went back out and started coughing again the vet said I could give her some more medicine and she would have to stay in the house till the summer so got it. Was giving her the medicine and she was panicking that much it looks like she had a heart attack she died in our arms. Her last day was spent on the sofa relaxing making her self at home which is a nice thought just can't believe how quick it all happened was very upsetting.

Just to let you we lost daisy last week :cry: she got better so she went back out and started coughing again the vet said I could give her some more medicine and she would have to stay in the house till the summer so got it. Was giving her the medicine and she was panicking that much it looks like she had a heart attack she died in our arms. Her last day was spent on the sofa relaxing making her self at home which is a nice thought just can't believe how quick it all happened was very upsetting.

Oh that's very sad - so sorry to hear this news. You did so much for Daisy, please remember you did everything you could. It's very difficult and upsetting - I also had a chicken die in my arms and it was very distressing but I was glad she wasn't alone.

It sounds to me like it could've been something like mycoplasma as this also reoccurred in one of my hens after antibiotic treatment and is a horrible infection.

Huge hugs!

x

Oh that's very sad - so sorry to hear this news. You did so much for Daisy, please remember you did everything you could. It's very difficult and upsetting - I also had a chicken die in my arms and it was very distressing but I was glad she wasn't alone.

It sounds to me like it could've been something like mycoplasma as this also reoccurred in one of my hens after antibiotic treatment and is a horrible infection.

Huge hugs!

Thank you so much it has knocked me about

x