debbiedoobs

Which are the best ducks?

Hi, I really want some ducks but don't know which to get. I've been looking at khaki Campbell's and they look little, cute and lovely. I'm not bothered bout how many eggs they lay as we have silkies already, the little house I've been looking at for them will hold about 3, so was thinking 2 hens 1 drake or maybe just 3 hens. Can ducklings be easily sexed? I was thinking to hatch my own in the incubator, or would it be easier to sexed ducklings?

Hi, I have a pair of call ducks which I absolutely love, they share the bantams walk in run when need to be shut in but otherwise are in the garden all day and they have a kiddies paddling pool.

They don't lay very well, although I have had an egg 3 days running from Daisy and must warn you that the females are very noisy at times. She was worst when we first got her but settled down, now its when she sees me in the kitchen and wants letting out.

They are such dear little characters though, great time wasters.

Hi mollyripkim, I have wanted some for ages, think they are adorable! Are yours quite small? How old we're they when you got them?

My silkies are always quite noisy when they see me so I'm used to that, never had any complaints so far! :lol: We both a

Have a silkie called cilla too! :D

Only just seen this post which is probably just as well as any pictures of your silkies on that nice green grass always makes me so jealy, mollyripkim :wink: I can see they look every bit as pretty as they did 18 months ago when I visited. Did you get any ducks debbiedoobs? I too have banty chooks (silkies, polands and frizzles) who trundle round the garden with a pair of little calls (related to mollyripkim's ones in that they came from the same lovely breeder) and would highly recommend them as great time wasters and charmers.

Hi, yeh I ended up getting 3 khaki Campbell's as I could buy them sexed at 4 weeks old. They are soooooo cute :D , I absolutely adore them. As we have never had ducks we decided after some advice bout getting sexed ducklings as I wouldn't want to get stuck with any drakes if I hatched my own. I will definitely be getting some more, call ducks next time. Not sure how long I'm gonna be able to wait :lol: ..... Need to let our 15, one week old silkie chicks grow up a little before I convince the hubby to hatch some more babies!