Claireabella

Presentations

I've got to give an assessed presentation on Thursday and I get VERY nervous. I get the cold sweaty hands, thumping heart, shaky knees, funny tummy, the whole lot! :oops:

I've tried the 'picture everyone naked' or 'sitting on the loo' etc... and it made me worse :lol:

Does anyone have any advice or tips they can offer to get me through this? :anxious:

I used to hate doing presentations, but it's a part of my job that I've had to get used to. I find that if I'm confident in my subject, it helps (sounds obvious I know!), but it means I can ad-lib a bit more and not stick rigidly to notes. I try to keep my presentation style light hearted and humorous - obviously that depends on your subject, but I'm sure most presentations can be delivered in a fairly lighthearted manner. I try not to read from notes verbatim (audiences can always tell) and neither do I simply read from PowerPoint slides.

I don't find any of the 'picture everyone naked' techniques work for me - it's really a case of having confidence in your subject and confidence in yourself and going for it! Good luck :D

I get nervous before presentations and meetings which can sometimes spill over to generalised anxiety. The best thing I have found is meditation breathing exercises but these need practice and so are something to learn and practice before the next time so you can pick them up when needed.

I actually found repeatly practicing the presentation makes me worse and trying to predict questions that could be asked ties me in knots, so once I've written the presentation, practiced it a couple of times and jotted down a few prospective questions and answers I leave it alone.

Before the big event I try to keep up all the usual self help measures I.e. Plenty of sleep, minimal alcohol, take some exercise and don't drink too much caffeine.

Not sure if it will help you but it's my survival techniques.

Good advice above.

For each of my slides I think about what I absolutely must say and make detailed notes then I work out what I could say especially whether I have any interesting examples and make less detailed notes. Thant way when I get up to talk I am a bit more fluid as it means that whilst the core is consistent it's never the same talk twice. (Not sure if that explanation makes sense :lol: )

I also keep in mind I am worth listening to :oops::lol:

Don't focus on the audience, focus on your presentation instead. Firstly, preparation is absolutely key - know what your slides are about, what you're going to say for each one and as said above, use notes as reminders but never just read them out. Print your notes out in a font you can easily read and don't staple them together because they're harder to turn over and if the staple comes out, you can lose them - punch a hole in the corner and use a treasury tag instead. Oh, and number the pages just in case you drop them!

Willow's advice is spot on - remember that they're there to see you speak because you have something worth saying. Once you stand up to speak, you are in control - "Ooops, word censored!"ody is going to challenge you or interrupt you, you've got their undivided attention so make the most of it. Smile if you can before you start, jokes are good if you can do it naturally, but don't force it. Look at the audience while you're talking, and not just at one person all the time (or they'll feel really uncomfortable). Breathe deeply before you start and don't speak too quickly. It'll be over before you know it - I wouldn't try to anticipate questions, if you know your subject well then you'll be able to answer them and if you get something you don't know, it's fine to say 'can I come back to you on that' or 'I'd need time to think about that'.

I do a lot of presentations and I absolutely love it, but I do realise that not everyone feels that way about public speaking!

Good luck. I admire people so much who can do this. It's a skill, that's for sure and one I don't have.

I get a nervous tummy on occasions and I take a little bit of Pepto Bismol. It's cooling and settling, we call it glop and sometimes I forget it's real name. I think it tastes a little like germoline would but it is worth it, it takes away that hot feeling inside you.

I hope it goes well.

Worth remembering nerves are normal and probably even good.

Over the years I've done lots of presentations to audiences of up to 200 people so I now enjoy them (although they terrified me initially) and I even volunteer to do talks :lol: but the night before and that morning I still feel sick, funny tummy etc and wonder why on earth I am doing this to myself :roll:

I console myself that even famous actors like Sir Ian McKellan still get nerves before each performance!

I've never found that 'imagining the audience' stuff useful.

Great advice :D I really echo the being prepared bit, I practise my talks (out loud) along with the slides to make sure I fit the time allocated. I don't use the same words each time, I just make sure I know the essence of whatever it is I'm trying to convey. so on the day I'm not having to remember things, I'm just delivering. I do the same as Olly - I have loose crib sheets with the key points for each slide, in a very large font. Your slides should be quite sparing in terms of text/images, you want the audience concentrating on you, not the slides. I am deliberately provocative and vague on my slides, so people can't second guess what I'm going to say! I always try to remember that I know more than the audience (!) but I do try to think of questions I might be asked as I find that the most tricky bit. Sometimes I ask OH - I tell him what I'm doing and see what Qs he comes up with.

I am always nervous and I don't think I'm really cut out for it, but there is a bit of me which strangely enjoys it. Good Luck :D

I seem to remember some time ago that Bachs Remedy was used for stress in such circumstances. If the wildlife rescue place can use it for birdies in shock, it can't be bad.

I would absolutely hate the task of doing a presentation. I used to loathe speaking in front of the class - even more stressed when I had the whole school to do a reading at assembly. I wish you all the best.

Ditto to all the good advice above. First presentation I did, my hands shook so much I had to put my notes down on the table just to read them :shock:. It does get better and it no longer worries me now, though I do prefer smaller groups to enormous ones.

Lots of practice so you're sure of what you want to say and ensure you have big-font notes, just in case powerpoint fails. Don't try to cram everything on a powerpoint slide - one or two bullet points is much easier for the audience than an entire thesis in tiny font. Like Daphne, I tend not to give too much away on the slides, or people just read the handouts and drift off. Maybe a question like "So what next?" on the slide, with the answer given only in your presentation.

As Olly said, they're there because they want to listen to what you have to say, and you may want to tell them up front whether you will take questions during your presentation or at the end. I usually try to restrict them to the end, as it avoids you losing the thread and you may very well answer their question later anyway. If it is a timed presentation, it ensures you get everything covered.

Deep breathing, speak slowly and try to pitch your voice just a little lower than usual (avoids being squeaky), and try to make eye contact with different individuals. Harder to do in a big group, easier with a smaller one.

All the very best for Thursday - you'll be great :dance:

Wow, thank you so much, this is all great advice! I've been working on my slides for a couple of weeks and put finishing touches to them last week, so they are prepared and I've kept it simple. I went to look at the room yesterday where I will be presenting and stood at the front just to get a feel for it. Seats around 90 people, so not a massive lecture theatre but big enough!

I know my subject area well, although I have gone blank in the past when I've been asked a question! I have notes but I've been trying to practice without them and my talk is slightly different each time. I'm using the notes more as a prompt as I don't want to look too static. I find I can't hold my notes because it shows up my shaking hands too much! I need to practice talking more slowly though and find places for pauses. I'm asthmatic, so if I talk too fast I get quite breathless :roll: I am also the last to present - 4pm, so I have a bit of a nerve-racking wait! (why am I doing this?? :wall:). I've never had much confidence really so this is a big deal for me but I keep telling myself - be confident, be confident, be confident!!

Everyone has been in the same boat here, I am sure. I find I feel better if I know I have prepared properly: so I practice my session with a timer a couple os times so that I know it's gone into my head in case I go blank (it hasn't happen yet!)

I have a checklist for packing and preparing, I email my slides to my yahoo account, and take two memory sticks.

I have extra examples and slides prepared in case I need to make my teaching more basic or advanced.

I know all this sounds very anal, but it works for me. I used to loath presenting, but after a two year contract teaching abroad, I quite enjoy meeting all the different participants and talking to them about their work :D

Well, I did it!! Yes, my voice was a bit shaky at the beginning, I felt sick and had a funny tummy but - I felt prepared and I didn't use my notes; I left them by the computer and just went for it!! Three people came up to me afterwards and said it was the best talk of the session and commended me on how well I engaged the audience! :shock::D

The independent assessor told me afterwards that he will be recommending that I proceed with the next stage of my research :dance:

Thank you so much for your support and wonderful advice :D