My Amber hen has been very ill since having cocci (I am sure some have seen my other thread!) but for the past month she's been on treatment for a fungal infection (I think it's Aspergillosis but I have gone blank!!) effecting her liver - she's recovered nicely and went through a molt and an infection but all seems good. However, the treatment will take at least several weeks - maybe 2 months because the vets I see are concerned about the nature of the fungus and how it can get nasty again quickly. They've done tones of research and are knowledgeable with chickens, so I am happy to follow their advice...

However, the hen has been separated. When she succumbed after cocci, she was bullied badly so she was popped into a big dog crate and then we made a 4x6 run for her to go into each day. The issue I have now really is - do I get her a small coop and run or do I keep my routine of putting her out each morning in the run and then bringing her back in into the dog crate at night? We have foxes around so she must be safe so I'd never risk her in the run at night.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a secure small coop and run? She is positioned to see both my other flocks. I'd love to get another Omlet coop (I have the 3m run that came with the GO) but they're expensive for only using for a short time (although would work for intros and quarantine in the future).

I can't imagine I'll be introducing her to the others for a little while - maybe 4-6 weeks? I know the longer I leave it the harder it will be but she's been such a fighter and so lucky to be where she is now - she looks incredible - I don't want to risk the main aggressor sending her backwards.

So I guess my question is - will she be OK with the current routine, or if it's best for her to have a coop and run so she can put herself to bed, what would anyone recommend?

x

Can she see the others from her little run?

I did a similar thing last year, Latte who was my oldest was ill and I brought her inside as I thought that was it. To my surprise she recovered and I then had to reintroduce her to the others which was a pain. Normally I keep a poorly one separate but within sight of the the others.

Chrissie