soapdragon

'Debo' Devonshire's Funeral

I read in the paper this morning that Deborah Devonshire, chatelaine of Chatsworth and last of the Mitford sisters, was laid to rest in a woven coffin topped with strawberry leaves and little nests of eggs from her own flock of chickens which she, apparently, absolutely adored! How lovely!

How lovely.

I've just googled and yes, perched right on top of all the flowers on her coffin you can see some eggs.

If it is possible to say I like a coffin, I do like the wicker ones. A relative passed away earlier in the year and had a wicker coffin, she had planned her own funeral and really wanted one. I was shocked at first to see one close up, it was the biggest basket I've ever seen :) It looked much better than the usual teak MFI looking boxes with shiny handles though.

Wonderful. The Yorkshire and Surrounding Areas Omleteers are thinking of having a day out at Chatsworth, with a visit to Edensor so that Laurie can visit the grave. (She has a bit of a thing about the Mitfords)

Let me know when that is E, and I will try to get there if I can... I always enjoy Chatsworth.

Another one here for a wicker coffin... or a cardboard box! I hate waste, and intent to be incinerated when I go, so that I take up less space.

I am rubbish at googling, I ended up with lots of pics of Debo at other funerals :?

It sounds like a lovely coffin, Hubby's Nan had a wicker coffin, sooo much nicer than those icky wooden ones. I will be leaving my body to medical science (if they want it).

I have read a couple of Debo's books, she certainly comes across as a real character who loves chickens. Chatsworth is amazing a credit to all those who have worked so hard on it.