Alis girls

Getting medicine down a reluctant cat!!

Honey our 11 yr old tabby had been passing blood in her pooh and has lost wt. The vet prescribed antibiotics and Ranidine to see if would help otherwise might be something more serious. We have to wrap her in a huge yellow towel to squirt the medicine in - she looks like a fat honey bee :shock: She also seems to sprout extra legs. So far no bites or scratches - back to vet tommorrow.

You have my sympathies! At nearly 17 our cat, Meg, doesn't do a great deal and is mostly placid. She's also tiny and rather skinny these days. However, one whiff of a vet visit or having to get any kind of medicine in her and she turns into some kind of cat octopus with teeth! It's like going into battle twice a day!

Contrast that with our 5 year old boy cat who is 6kg of pure muscle, enormously fluffy and resembles a small wombat from certain angles. He could, if he wanted, do you serious harm but is the most laid back cat I've ever met! You can do anything to him and he takes it.

Ask the vet to clip her nails. This makes it far easier, because you don't need to be so on your toes, watching flying claws.

Mixing the antibiotics with something tasty can work very well too, but most antibiotics have quite a sharp taste and any fussy eaters will not touch it.

Many years ago, I once succeeded in wrangling a pill down Puddy-cat's throat. Only once, and she sat there for ages afterwards all mussed up and in total shock :shock: . After that it was hide it in food or risk being shredded - cat octopus with claws and teeth is a really good description of the monster she became!

Cleo has daily pills to control her auto-immune and these just get crushed up between spoons and stirred into her meat. Luckily she's a greedy girl and scoffs the lot :D

This is a daily problem for me. Claudette has Vidalta for her hypothyroid condition, you're not supposed to crush them. I feed it to her in a teaspoon of tuna or a sliver of cheese, or this week I had some corned beef and that got scoffed up! She was very aggressive when I got her and although she's calmer these days I wouldn't want to try giving it to her any other way. Wellington is on Metacam. Luckily i just put the drops on his food and he eats it.

The other problem is making sure the two cats don't swap dishes while this is going on! I don't look forward to feeding time.

Someone I know had some useful advice on this subject, just had to look it up (we don't have a cat, BTW, and never will...)

How To Give Your Cat A Pill

1) Pick up cat and cradle it in the crock of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of the cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth, pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

2) Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

3) Retrieve cat from bedroom and throw soggy pill away.

4) Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm while holding rear paws tightly with left hand Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.

5) Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Retrieve spouse from outside.

6) Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees. Hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold hear firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

7) Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

8 ) Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

9) Check label to make sure pill is not harmful to humans. Drink one beer to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10) Retrieve cat from neighbour's shed. Get another pill. Open another beer. Place cat in cupboard and close door on neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

11) Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Drink beer. Fetch bottle of scotch. Pour shot of scotch and drink. Apply cold compress to cheek and check record for date of last tetanus shot. Apply whisky compress to cheek to disinfect. Toss back another shot. Throw shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

12) Call fire department to retrieve cat from across the road. Apologize to neighbour who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil wrap.

13) Tie the little ^@'s front legs to rear legs with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table. Find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of steak. Be rough about it. Hold cat's head vertically and pour two pints of water down throat to wash pill down.

14) Consume remainder of scotch. Get spouse to drive you to A&E. Sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.

15) Arrange for RSPCA to collect mutant cat from hell and call local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

How To Give Your Dog A Pill

1) Wrap pill in bacon.

2) Toss it in the air.

Which is why we have a dog...

Yep done that! :lol::lol:

My own cat is a little wuss and incredibly sweet. She has never scratched or bitten me, but pills... That is were she draws the line... She will hide that pill somewhere in her mouth and will start drooling so bad, I'm soaked within seconds.

My moms cat however is a little minx. She has bitten, scratched, chewed, clawed me. For no reason at all... But pills, those are interesting little candies that she will vacuum up, without thinking about... :roll:

We were looking at a device in the vets which didnt look unlike the device ladies use for treating thrush with vaginal pessaires :shock: and I remarked on this to OH who looked visibly shocked - dont worry hes used to me by now (cant you tell I'm a nurse :lol: ) It must work on the pea shooter method. I suspect you blow down the cats gullet. Just dont get the 2 devices mixed up. :shock:

I've battled with this for many years :roll: Putting it in their food never seems to work as they just know somehow and avoid it (even if you feed something like chicken) you end up finding the pill licked clean in a corner somewhere. I've done the wrap-em-up thing but no matter how tight you do it they always manage to get a paw free and try to rip your face off! Best way I've found is to back them into a corner, pop the moth open, shove pill in and then stroke the throat till its swallowed, quick and dirty I know but it seems to cause less stress in the long run.

The fun thing is when you've got a constipated cat and you need to give them liquid paraffin! Messy doesn't begin to describe it :shock:

The fun thing is when you've got a constipated cat and you need to give them liquid paraffin! Messy doesn't begin to describe it :shock:

I think the cat felt the same way! :lol:

I always do the corner and stuff method too, but my cat just refuses to swallow and has missed that of course of "how to cat"... Drool everywhere... :roll:

Recent experience of administering antibiotics to our dear tabby. First few days poorly cat the corner and pop into mouth technique worked very well. We knew he was getting better when giving him the tablet twice a day proved more challenging. By the end of the course we were working down the list and scotch would have been welcome !