CrazyDaizy

Can I introduce bantams to my black rock chicken?Hi

Hia Folks

Our Bluebell chicken died this week and now we just have an 18 months old Black Rock chicken. We have been keeping chickens for about 8 years now. We are undecided what to do next as our kids are both away from home at Uni and hubby & I would like a bit more freedom to come and go as we please without worrying about who's going to look after the chickens (we do have a lovely and reliable chicken sitter so it really isn't a problem)

The dilemma is..... we did want to have a couple of bantams before we retired from chickens completely. They look so cute with their feathery feet. So, it looks like we might be locking ourselves in for another 3/4 years of chicken keeping.

Would our Black Rock Chicken get on ok with a couple of bantams? She's only a small bird herself.

Hi Crazy Daizy

It might be good to get two adult bantams who are strangers to each other. Then all three will be on the same footing. Keep them separated but in sight of each other for a time. Then supervised free-ranging for a while if poss. Then try putting them all together at night. It pays to take time over doing these chicken intros, I've learned!

No experience of Black Rocks, though, so can't comment on the size difference, or whether a Black Rock might bully bantams. Good luck. :)

I've found genuine Blackrocks to be very easy going. I'd get two 6 month bantams from the same flock and just put them straight in. The existing hen should exhibit cockerel behaviour over her flock and call them to feed. Pekin hens (feathery feet) can be quite aggressive though, so there will be an element of pot-luck in this introduction.

Thank you for your replies.

Oh yes Jeshen, I know ALL about taking time over chicken intros :lol: In some cases, it's been known to take two weeks, yet in one case, I introduced one chicken to another, and they got on straight away!

I must be getting confused, we are looking for the small chickens with feathery feet and I thought they were bantams. So I need to look for Pekin hens, but you say they can be quite aggressive?

Hmmm, maybe it might be wise to go with our earlier decision of phasing chickens out altogether and reclaiming our life and garden back :think:

Pekins are one type of bantam, CD, the ones with the most feathery feet! I agree with Beantree that some of them can be feisty madams, but they are adorable once settled in. They tame easily and are great with small children. My ten have brought much fun to our house and we wouldn't be without them. Hope you decide to go ahead! :)