The Dogmother

Blasted fireworks

I read the post about the lurcher - very sorry. I have 3 cats - the youngest seems ok if indoors, our elderly tabby gets terrified, I draw curtains turn tv up and stay with her and shes ok. Otherwise I am on my hands and knees trying to get her in from under bed. Problem is you have no idea when they start going off and stop. With Diwali , then Nov 5th its constant - then Christmas and New year - In London goes on forever. Once you could shut the animals in and go out safe in the knowledge they were indoors and away from it. Now if we go out we have to do head count and check they are all in as otherwise I worry myself sick. add me to list to sign please.

I'd be happy to sign a petition. Couldnt agree more that fireworks should be restricted to organised displays only. Finn hates fireworks and spent Sunday evening curled nose to tail on my knee, which is fine but he is a husky cross malamute and weighs 32kg. There wre fireworks on Corrie last night and he was getting worried about those.

Not generally a kill-joy, but would happily ban fireworks for personal use altogether. Next door started their fireworks party at about 8.00pm on Friday and carried on till gone 2.30 Saturday morning :evil:. Sporadic fireworks every 20 minutes or so, some of them very loud, with lots of loud drunk conversation and laughter and screaming children (at 2.30 in the morning :shock:). Even with no pets, it would have been really annoying - why couldn't they just let the whole lot off at a decent hour?

It's not something they do very often, but it meant I had no sleep, as I had to sit with our eldest dog who was trembling and whimpering. As she is the mother of the other two, they take their cue from her and, if Kia panics, so do they. By the time she'd calmed down, it was my usual getting-up time. Loki-cat disappeared under my duvet and came out about lunchtime, Cleo seemed ok and the hens were fine.

My dad reckons he's just discovered a real advantage to being deaf as a post :roll:

I was a bit worried about my three hens down the garden. But they seemed ok. Missed laying a couple of days ie we only had one or two instead of the usual three, but then it did go cold and the nights drawing in. Hens seem to be a very relaxed animal, at least mine are till the treats come out

We don't have a dog now because we are both at work, but I do remember our lovelly lab cross shaking and our rescued terrier doing the same very year, you just don't know how to help them