The Dogmother

Blasted fireworks

Don't get me wrong; I love them as much as the next person, but what I don't understand are two things...

1) Why, in these days of 'elf and safety, is it OK to sell explosives to anyone over the age of 18?

2) Why on earth, when we have a wonderful local, well organised, cheap and safe firework display, do people feel the need to let them off in their back gardens for the next two weeks, terrorising the local wildlife and pets? :roll:

A friend's dog has died after it took fright at an overhead, and unexpected firework just last night. One of my own dogs is petrified of them after having a firework lobbed at her by yobs in the park. No amount of treatment, therapy, diffusers and horse-strength tranquillisers will calm her and she's a shaking, howling wreck most nights for 2 weeks :(

I don't want to be a killjoy, but I'd sign a petition to take them off general sale, and for them to be used only in safe, organised displays.

Fireworks are like flowers and weeds. A weed if a flower growing in the wrong place.

I thoroughly agree , fireworks should only be seen at an organised event . And lets be honest when it is a mid week date then the weekend before and after the set date has events at every park , common , and venues for public displays, and there are enough of them.

Fireworks are explosives and in the wrong hands very dangerous , and not everyone over 18 yrs is a safety conscious person.

My animals are kept indoors on an evening and that includes the cat, the dogs can go out on a lead in the garden to prevent them bolting when a firework goes off. I even cover the cube up during firework season. And I say season as it can go on for weeks. And the the new year is a nightmare too.......I wish they would just Ban them.

But wait... Why are they setting off fireworks in November? Is their a Holiday that escaped my attention?

I detest fireworks... Refuse to use any, refuse to leave my house at new years... I'm a chemistry teacher and one of my colleagues makes fireworks with the kids as a lab lesson. I still think that is just about the worst thing you can do with a bunch of kids. Oh yeah! Lets show them all how easy it is! :evil:

And then he has to try it out of course and my classroom is next to the lab. Have running in with a fire extinguisher a few times. Now he at least warns me... :wall:

We are just recovering from the fireworks for Diwali (nearly a week's worth of those) and now we're in the run-up to Guy Fawkes' night... that usually lasts a good 2 weeks :roll:

That explains!

In the Netherlands fireworks are only allowed on 31st of december from 10 am to 2 am. Selling starts 2 days before. Doesn't keep people from lighting that stuff much earlier, but it is rare.

There are many great and well organised displays now....every other village seems to have one as a community event. These are either on the Sat before or the actual 5th Nov so very predictable.

Setting off fireworks at all hours in small suburban gardens is overkill.......our boys are very happy with a sparkler each evening between yesterday (when we went to a very well organised 'do' in Marsh Baldon complete with bonfire) and Wednesday 5th.

Yesterday there were fireworks going off in gardens in our village from 6.00pm till 10.45pm.......WHY!!!!???!!! Given the price of fireworks it seems more sensible to go to an organised display? Marsh Baldon cost £10.00 per car (OH, me and two boys) and lasted about 20 mins of lovely, impressive fireworks.....no way that we could have bought such a great display for £10.00 so we felt it well worth the 10 mins drive...also makes it more of an event for the boys too!!

Lets have a sense of perspective here!!!!

Our local do charges 3 quid per person, they have some old fashioned fairground rides, food stalls, a massive bonfire, a judge the guy contest, and the most amazing firework display. It's all very well planned, with the fire brigade in attendance, and the event planners must make a mint out of it too.

I have taken Rosie to this since she was small, and always felt safe.

I do agree and have said the same for many years but there is such a variety of cultures around here that it seems that something or other should be celebrated with fireworks all year round. Now I don't really think about it much. Diwali was big, Halloween was less so and hardly any Guy Fawkes fireworks this weekend. I don't have any pets that are overtly bothered so that makes it easier to be nonchalant.

As for why people like their own fireworks I have to confess that I find lighting explosive things really good fun. I do enjoy lighting a rocket or a roman candle.

Cat tails- I taught my kids at home and someone donated a box of dangerous and explosive substances for my chemistry sessions. We had so much fun making flames and exploding things and that might explain why ES joined Artillery Regiment. He made a very effective tennis ball missile, we even dug a trench.They flew over a couple of fences. I can't say that it helped very much with passing exams but it was amazing for their education. :D

There are just too many irresponsible folk around these days for fireworks to continue to be on general sale :(

I was out in the garden this afternoon with the chickens freeranging around me and a firework was let off nearby, making a huge noise. All the wild birds in the nearby trees flew up and the chickens (thankfully moulting otherwise Lola would've been 20 feet in the air) ran into the borders, poor things. A wild bird was making an alarm call for quite a few minutes afterwards, it was quite distressing :(

I'm lucky to have a dog that doesn't bat an eyelid at fireworks, but I'd still be happy to see them restricted to public displays only. We have a superb display in our village for £3 per person with a huge bonfire, stalls etc plus the fireworks display. Why would you even bother going to the expense and trouble of setting them off in your garden when you can go to a much better display for much less money?

Agree completely - from a health and safety point of view, surely it can't be right that anyone can buy whatever they want and do whatever they like with them ...

On a more personal note, Willow is TERRIFIED of fireworks, just hearing a couple is enough to turn her into a gibbering wreck for the rest of the evening. I'm lucky to live in a rural location where the fireworks are relatively limited, still not great for Willow, but we deal with it. My mum lives in north Birmingham though and I can pretty much guarantee there will be fireworks every weekend there from now until New Year for no obvious reason. I was there last weekend and fireworks were still being released well after midnight on Saturday night/Sunday morning - I thought they weren't supposed to be used after 11 (except on NYE)?

There's a riding stable not far from me, last year, one of their most adorable horses became so stressed by the fireworks he managed to escape from his stable, cleared two fences and ended up on the main road, where sadly he was hit (and killed) by a car. Just awful.

Surely we should only be allowed to have fireworks at organised events - get them over and done with?

You are right Bramble, the deadline for 'unsociable noise' is 11pm; anything after that can be reported to the police, especially if it's excessive.

The Lurcher Link forum community is talking about setting up a facebook campaign for either stricter controls or silent fireworks. They are keen for some good to come out of the latest tragedy.

That's good, DM, I'd be very interested in joining the campaign - maybe you could post a link on here if it goes ahead?

I really don't want to be a killjoy, but it can't be right that anyone can have access to what are, effectively, bombs, as you say, maybe the tragedy last week might push the issue into the public eye again?

I'd too happily sign up to a petition/campaign that took fireworks off general sale.

I hate it when the 5th falls midweek as it seems to spread it out for longer.

My parents border collie is absolutely terrified of them and like others have said no amount of diffusers, tranquilsers etc. make any difference. He's really getting on now and has a heart condition so we are all worried that this year might just finish him off.

I just don't understand how people can justify the cost!! I work in quite a rough area where the majority of residents are on benefits, this time of year it is like a war zone, how can they afford it?

I also don't understand how people get away with it, I am not sure on the laws but a few years ago a friends husband threw her a party and had a legitimate company do a small firework display in the garden, they live in a semi rural place, within an hour the police were at the door and fined him.