Purplemaniacs

Gluten free Christmas recipe ideas

DSs girlfriend is now avoiding gluten. They came for dinner and what I thought was a safe menu, cook from scratch I thought would be safer but only just realised in time that soy sauce isn't gluten free

I am now very worried about Christmas they are coming on Boxing Day. Christmas pudding no good, mince pies no good. For tea we have sandwiches, vol au vents and cake all no good.

I know some of you don't eat gluten so any ideas or recipes would be brilliant.

Thank you!

Chrissie

There are much more things available nowadays from when my dad needed a bit of variety! If you look in the "Free From" sections in the supermarkets you will get all sorts from bread to biscuits and cakes.

If you make a gluten free cake you will need to get a jar of xanthan gum (powder to add which helps to bind the flour - I used to make pastry for my dad and it's works well). Maybe you can get "self-raising" gluten free flour now, not sure. But as we are having a neighbours party next weekend and one of those is a coeliac, I have been asked to make desserts and so I am making individual little lemon meringue pies that use biscuits as a base, so I've already bought the gluten free digestive biccies. Otherwise there is no gluten - now lactose yes!!! This is the one I'm doing:

http://thestonesoup.com/blog/2011/12/lemon-meringue-pie-in-15-minutes/

We have an app in the Netherlands. With your smart phone you scan the product in the store (any store) and it will tell you if it's gluten free or not. Saves a lot on reading tiny print on packaging and gives you loads more product options. Many more products are gluten free, apart from the ones in the special gluten free section.

Not sure if it would work for UK stores.

I made a wonderful gluten free carrot cake which contained crushed pineapple - it was the best one I had ever made and used gluten free self raising flour - if you need it you also get gluten free baking powder too - I made pancakes with the flour also and they came out fine - so can make cakes and pastry of your own instead of buying and it is much cheaper to make.

Buy gluten free biscuits and make a cheesecake. Everyone can eat it - filling on carnation website for filling, condensed milk, philly cheese and lemon zest and juice.

I recently bought a cook book from The Book People for a gluten free friend all about Christmas Cooking - her birthday is the end of Nov so she has time to get the oven on! Can't remember exactly what it was called but think it would be easy to find on The Book People website - it wasn't expensive, only about £3.99!

Hope Chrissie's OK! :anxious: Made them with the gluten free biscuits and they must have been OK because somebody asked for seconds!!! They are still alive because I've seen them! :lol:

Edited to add that they were also wheat free - which was perfect for my neighbour as I showed her the packet and gave her the leftover biccies. She said they were the same as she gets.