Luvachicken

Anyone grown cucamelons as seen on allotment challenge ?

I read somewhere that it might take up to 3 weeks. I'm due to receive mine next week.

thanks for that

but I'd really like to know how long they have actually taken to germinate for people

normally with the squash family I find that if they aren't up in about 10 -12 days then it's time to re-sow. Melons been about 15-20 days

This is the place I read it. It's someones blog where he/she describes growing there cucamelons. It took 3 to 4 weeks before the first shoots appeared. I'm preparing to wait quite a while.

thanks for the link looks like if they fail for Me this year then I wont have time to re sow

note to self treat them like melons next year and sow earlier

I think I might have the same problem. My seads hopefully arrive next Tuesday..Hope that will give me enough time to get them to germinate... Biggest fear is that the main lot of harvest will fall in my three week holliday...

Might it help if I soak the seeds for 1 or 2 days before sowing?

I think I might have the same problem. My seads hopefully arrive next Tuesday..Hope that will give me enough time to get them to germinate... Biggest fear is that the main lot of harvest will fall in my three week holliday...

Might it help if I soak the seeds for 1 or 2 days before sowing?

not with the squash family seeds as they originated in a dryish climate so don't like been to wet some seeds can be started on damp paper towel but again I'm not sure that works with the squash family seeds

I've got 2 seeds up today one has it's seed leaves open the other is just starting to show above the soil so I think they've taken about 14 days which is about the same time as the melons. I didn't put them in a propagator just in the un heated greenhouse

My Dad has been trying to get some of these to germinate but failed so while I was at his house we went and bought a new packet of seeds and split the pack, I have some of the seeds in my propagator and he planted some in his greenhouse....we both has seeds coming up now. Nothing like a father & daughter challenge :lol: ( I think he was of the opinion that if I couldn't get them to grow then it was a lost cause).

They did seem to take their time to germinate, even in my heated propagator.

I only put them in seed compost and stuck them on a sunny windowsill with a bit of clingfilm over the top - they came up quite soon but then I guess it was when we had all that lovely sunshine over the Easter hols.

I just potted them into their own little pots and they seem to be doing well.

Oke they are in!

Together with the yellow pear tomato and Red sunset Sunflowers. Sowing the poppies outside on the soil tomorrow. Decided to wait until fall with sowing the thistles and do them strait in the bed. Now I only need to decide what to do with sowing the cone flowers.

My cucamelons have gone :(

I only have one left and it doesn't have many leaves left so I can only imagine the slugs or snails got them.

I am really cross.

They were doing so well too :evil:

I'll just have to grow some more and hope they get off to a good start like the others did.

Cat tails, it says on my packet that you dig up the original plant in the autumn and keep the rootball indoors in soil ready to replant the following year if that's any help.

I caught the culprit - well one anyway - a massive snail just heading over what it had eaten the previous night on its way to the remaining cucamelon.

I swiftly removed him and brought my last cucamelon indoors safe from any pesky creatures.

Think I will put any future plants in a salt moat :idea:

I hadn't expected to read that about the damage. Hopefully you will get some cropping from the last one.

I've been using the anti slug and snail spray (although basil doesn't like it but perhaps that's because I did the concentrate version and maybe not enough water added to it) and it's been really good. My lettuces haven't been touched - just one tomato because I didn't do them - they seemed to be fine and I thought they'd be too big to chomp. Not so, but the decapitated one was stuck in a pot and it's taken. The other damaged one is romping away and can't see the chomp. Biggest problem is trapped pigeons trampling the plants.

I'm finding them very slow growing

Yeah that is strange.

The first ones I did indoors came up in no time at all, then of course they were eaten and the next ones I sowed in the greenhouse. They have taken forever to come up and have literally popped up in the last couple of days.

Weird little things.

I hope they taste nice once they eventually get going.