Luvachicken

Anyone grown cucamelons as seen on allotment challenge ?

Saw them mentioned in the Smallholding magazine today. Now I want to find the article and can't find the magazine - gave it to OH to look at! :roll: I think it said that they are fiddly to harvest and are rather bitter? Not seen them before so good luck with your efforts and hope that they aren't as tart as this article said.

I need to sow mine as I haven't done them yet.

Tomorrow afternoon is the first day of my Easter holiday so I will do them then.

I won't start mine off until the end of the month as I don't want them much bigger than 4 leaves high when I pot them up into the big pots in late May

I grew them in a pot last year. 2 plants to a large pot and they did quite well. Pick them when they are the size of a large grape, they taste better then. Leave them too long and they tasted a bit woody. Nice flavour, sort of fresh tasting. :D They like to climb, so i put pea sticks in the pot and that seemed to work for me. Water well.

They are in one of those very small seed trays at the moment.

The instructions say to prick them out about an inch tall.

They are literally just a couple of millimetres at the moment but thanks again for another tip on how to deal with them, a bit like out of hand sweet-peas.

how long do they take to germinate it's best part of 2 weeks since I sowed mine and still no sign of them yet 2 of the cucumbers and a courgette that I sowed Sunday are just braking the surface today all 3 are last years seed