Sign in to follow this  
Luvachicken

Anyone grown cucamelons as seen on allotment challenge ?

We bought a little plant in our local garden centre today, it is about 2 inches high and has lovely little leaves, looks like a mini cucumber it was only ยฃ1.50 so I thought that I would give them a go. My YD loves cucumbers and melons so I thought she might love them. Just hoping that it is not too late in season for it to get going. This warmth must help.

We bought a little plant in our local garden centre today, it is about 2 inches high and has lovely little leaves, looks like a mini cucumber it was only ยฃ1.50 so I thought that I would give them a go. My YD loves cucumbers and melons so I thought she might love them. Just hoping that it is not too late in season for it to get going. This warmth must help.

it'll be all right after all it's only Early June the perfect time for planting I think they'll not really start to fruit until the days start to shorten as I think they are Sothern hemisphere plants originally

3 out of 4 of my second sowing have come up.

They are only small but I am keeping them in the conservatory until they are much, much bigger, away from slugs and snails.

Mine is growing quite well but I can't see it doing that much because it is so delicate looking. I can also see it getting in the way in the greenhouse because it has so many shoots and tendrils :think:

My two were really spindly when I first planted them out, but once in a large pot the stem thickened up really quickly. (In fact, I think I snapped two of the 4 plants when planting out)...

My two were really spindly when I first planted them out, but once in a large pot the stem thickened up really quickly. (In fact, I think I snapped two of the 4 plants when planting out)...

ย 

Think I might need a bigger pot then :roll:

Some of the shots on mine have now reached the top of the tomato plants in the greenhouse, so they must be three to four feet long, still look too spindly to support fruit though and only just showing signs of flowers.

The flowers on mine are teeny.

Goodness knows what size any fruits are going to be :roll:

about 1 inch long and half inch dia or just about bite size

Can't wait to see what my plant is doing when we get home tomorrow after a week away. I like having a veg garden, makes coming back from holiday less depressing so long as they have been watered properly whilst we have been away. My pet carer is good with animals less so with plants :anxious:

Same here... All pets off to boarding and dad popping in to have a look at the garden, but still I mostly come back to an overgrown and wilting garden. :roll:

Have actually taken them on holiday... They're about 7 cm high and are developing a few tendrils and have quite some leaves, but that is about it.

mine are a bit behind were they should be as I potted up the Asparagus peas by mistake they were in the same tray as the cucamelons

mine are a bit behind were they should be as I potted up the Asparagus peas by mistake they were in the same tray as the cucamelons

ย 

Ooops, never mind, mine have yet to bear fruit :whistle:

the only person I now that has grown them had then ready for August Bank holiday 2013 as she got 3rd prize in the veg show

Mine are growing amongst tomatoes too and my slug free ones are still in the conservatory.

Looking forward to the bank holiday in August now :D