Chickabee

Evil Mareks

I strongly suspect that Yves, my chocolate Pekin bantam has Mareks. It's such an awful disease and sadly only one outcome. She became ill very suddenly. I've always thought it was a slow disease. Have done more reading and found out it can happen quickly. She's still eating and drinking. I've read that some can get over the paralysis, but if she's no better tomorrow I'm afraid I'm going to have to despatch her :( . Not having much luck at the moment

You are in the best position to make a judgement Chickabee and I'm sure you will have her best interests at heart. Well done for having the strength to make the decision.

Description you give reads the same as Botulism. Some survive and others die. Any access to maggots or compost heaps?

Mareks seems rather ill defined to me. I know it can actually be Lymphoid Lucosis but for the bird the result is the same. Th difference is in the contagion. LL isn't, depending where you read.

So sorry to hear this chickabee. It is indeed a vile disease. I know its no comfort but we lost 2 beautiful sablepoots to this disease some years ago. They picked it up at a show. Good news was that they others all proved to be resistant. I hope yours all will be too. Take care. Ax

That is very interesting and worrying. My little one wasn't vaccinated or any of her friends, but I've read that most chickens are hosts. It just doesn't present in all of them.

I had a bird with Mareks years ago. Fortunately she did not infect any other birds

It was possibly Lymphoid Lucosis in your case then Chickabee. The symptoms can be very similar to Mareks but it only occurs in isolation. Many vets will assume Mareks when presented with the symptoms, but it can't be confirmed without testing. We've had one case which was easy to spot for the vet because she had a tumour the size of a golf ball just under her vent. It grew in a week!

Sorry to hear about your bird :(

If you read back through my older posts about Marek's, you'll see that there are two types of Marek's; slow or fast burn. Either is fatal in the end, it's just a matter of time.

It is present in the background of every flock, and will surface if the hen's immune system is compromised by an other problem, for instance a heavy moult, stress or an other illness. Isolation is pointless, as all the birds will have been exposed to it. I've had experience of both forms in my flock over the years, and the slow version is very hard for even an experienced vet to diagnose, and it's untreatable so the best route is culling the bird, I'm afraid.