Purplemaniacs

Eggs at school

Oh that sounds so wonderful!

A primary school in my town used to hatch eggs from their own flock of chickens. They have a nice big coop and run with a number of ladies. They used to have a cockerel as well, but last year the council installed a cockerel ban. So they had to get rid of their cockerel and if they want to hatch, have to buy the eggs now.

At the beginning of the week an incubator and ten eggs arrived in the classroom. Yesterday morning 4 had pipped. Just after lunch one hatched and just after afternoon play another hatched all watched by the children. It was a true wow moment.

Chrissie

Do you mind me asking, what happens to the little guys that hatch?

Well nine out of the ten eggs hatched, one I did help out of the egg because he had struggled for over a day,initially I didn't think he would survive but he did and after a week it was difficult to tell him from the others.

The people who supply the eggs and the equipment come and collect the equipment along with the chicks when they are about 10 days old. They say they go to a lovely farm to live happily but I am afraid I do have my doubts whether this is true.

But you can keep the chicks if you can rehome them and this is what happened this year, a friend of one of the parents has a farm and was happy to take all nine.

We only had 2 girls and 7 boys but she had a large farm and thought they would all find their own little groups.

Chrissie