karencopas

Chicks, to keep or not to keep..?

Hi all,

As ever I'm looking for some advice :)

Following a fox attack in December and nearly giving up completely on keeping chickens we have rescued two lovely girls from the fresh start for hens charity GNRGNR They joined the end of February and are absolutely lovely! They are very tame, laying every day and best friends with Bluebell (Bluebelle) who we thought was coping well with being a lone chook, but is a new hen now she has friends for company :D She has even started laying again !egg!!egg!

So the dilemma now is my daughter is in her first year teaching and her school have hatched chicks from the living egg company. They came home for the weekend and of course my youngest daughter has completely fallen in love with them! She would love to keep a couple and of course we are tempted but I want to be sure to make an informed decision so my main concerns is the sex of them.

Is it correct that in some breeds the female is a Bronze colour and the males are lemon? I will do my best to post a pic but I'm quite rubbish at such things. These chicks are definitely two colours, at this point I'm unsure of the breed and trying to find out.

Can't quite work out how to put a photo on at mo, will keep trying :D

Thanks for any help and advice xx

️️Thankyou for your help GNR my daughter did ring today and the company confirmed the darker chicks are female :)

So it seems we will be welcoming two new additions this weekend :dance:

I've hatched chicks and ducklings and had pol hens but this will be a new venture!! Wish us luck :D