whoopsie

lice (sorry)

The active ingredient of Xeno 450 is Ivermectin :)

I believe it's not licenced for use in laying chickens so egg withdrawal is at the advice of your vet and depends on the strength you are using.

Personally I would withdraw eggs from my chickens after treatment for 7 days.

Ivromectin or xeno 450? Both are spot on type treatments. Which is best please? I presume we ditch the eggs while treating.

I use Eprinex which is a generic name for ivermectin *not licenced for use on poultry* I have ex commercial hybrids so for that size hens I pop 5 drops from a pipette on the back of the neck every 3-4 months and withdraw eggs for a week.

I have found that very effective, I have not had any problem with ticks, mites, worms although all hens have them if they freerange it is more about controlling the worm burden.

I use the spot on and then use flubenvet every three months...

I use the ivermectin as a preventative but if you have a hen infested with lice then I think the treatment is slightly different....I am sure it's a few drops daily/every few days but please call a chicken savvy vet and they will be able to advise you, I have also found flyte so fancy to be very helpful and they supply ivermectin spot on.

(Obviously none of this is licensed for use on poultry... etc)

I have found that by far the best treatment combo, this includes for Northern Fowl Mites) is to dose 3-4 times a year with a cattle pour-on called Ivomec Eprinex - active ingredient = Eprinomectin; this is a spot on treatment, and the dosing instructions are here

For a heavy infestation or quite a few visible lice, I would also spray with a permethrin-based spray such as the Johnsons' one, or the Nettex aerosol. Do 2 treatments a week apart, and spray onto the skin around the warm vent area.

Egg withdrawal for a week after using any of these products.

My lot had a probelm with Northern Fowl Mites one year, and they were very hard to shift - this treatment, on the advice of a specialiast avian vet, was the only thing that worked.

I think in the Netherlands it is licensed to be used on poultry. My vet provided me with drop on pipets (not Eprinex) that have instructions for all types of animals, like rabbits, rats but also chickens.

I'm curious though, does anyone know if it also works against gape worm? I can't find any website telling me clearly against which parasites it will or won't work. My vet wasn't sure either (I'm apparently his only client with chickens... he's the one I go to for my cat, but might need to have a look to find a different one for my chickens).

I'm curious though, does anyone know if it also works against gape worm?

I don't know... sorry. You could ask Lewis to see if he knows, but I think he has still to do his Parasitology module.

Gapeworm is pretty rare (I've only ever had one case in my flock) and vets here in the UK treat with a double strength dose of Flubenvet, but that has to be prescribed and monitored by a vet.

Good question but I've no idea - sorry!

I had a quick google to see if it treats Syngamus Trachea but didn't get anywhere. As long as your chickens aren't showing signs of gape worm I wouldn't worry, as Clare says regular dose of Flubenvet wouldn't treat it either as it's not something we usually have to worry about.

I have to weigh our falcons every morning (I'm usually on Kestrel, Peregrine Falcon and Harris Hawk) but we have a perch mounted on the scales so they hop on, stand for a minute then hop back onto the glove :D

I guess your NHR bantam girls will be 7-800g.