Henergy

Names for new chickens

I'm stuck for names - I really want some girly names but feeling a lack of inspiration . Yesterdays additions to the flock are a blue maran and a Devon Bronze (who is black & will lay a dark brown egg we hope). We have at the moment a Megg, Peggy & Doughball (don't ask !). Help otherwise I'm going to have to let the boys decide & they want Batman & Gandolf !!!!

Maybe go for a theme, or choose a starting letter. I had 3 pekins when I first began keeping hens and they were called Milly, Molly & Mandy :D Then I had a Tilly and a Polly (still have Polly but lost her sister) I seem to like names that rhyme.

Yes I agree pics might help!

I feel your pain my YS wanted to call my new hen Batista - its the name of an American wrestler. So I settled on Poldark names - Demelza and Prudie. OH cant get his head round Demelza and calls her Esmeralda :wall: . I did biblical names to start with then womens names in pop songs but we ended up with an Edwina (YS name) . Only you can decide.

Yes it is hard. I love more gothic names and had a huge list. The Bluebell was always going to be Pixie Dust or as she often gets called Pixie Lott, the Sussex was always Lillith but Autumn only was called because of her colouring and she was referred to as Sick Pob anyway, (RIP), and Winnie, well looks like a pheasant, hunted in winter, so Winter became her name. I never dreamed of calling a chicken Winnie, but such is life.

We need pics :D

I went with "old lady" names with mine and then gave the littlies a choice of names to pick from- I ended up with Hilda, Elsie, vera, Mabel and Gloria

Almost coronation street.... I just realised that as i was typing it :lol:

Ours have been named after all sorts over the years. When we got the original two, hubby was into table tennis so they ended up being called Ping and Pong....I think Ping got the better deal there!

Since then we've named them after Australian Rules Football players, friends, types of booze, Indian dishes, villages in Essex, DIY materials (we really did have one called Multifinish), sitcom characters, cake and song lyrics.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

I'm getting a Joan and a Roy (shhhh she won't know she's got a boys name). Any other names are yet to be decided. They will be named after dear friends who introduced me to live chickens aged 6, and who would be delighted that some are coming to stay with me. I suspect the the rest might get named after cricketers as my husband wants some input. I love hearing how people have named their chickens. Some names are so original.

To stay in the theme of the boys:

Arwen

Galadriel

Eowyn

Actually two of mine are called Arwen and Galadriel (though we normally call her Gladdy or Gladys, since Galadriel sounds quite grand). They share a run with a pair of Sablepoots called Merry and Pippin :)