Scaredyhen

Lost my first hen today :( Dog attack

I'm feeling so very sad :(

The girls were out free ranging today, I was hoovering and our dog started barking. The kids were messing about playing indoors and I thought she was getting excited and barking at them - although she never does this usually so not sure why I ignored her. Anyway she kept on and my husband went to look and said next doors dog was in the garden and let ours out. Next doors dog is a regular visitor and the hens don't mind him at all. As our dog ran out my husband saw it was in fact a different dog and I had a panic about where the girls were.

So my poor beautiful Vorwerk was in the pen, blue and dying. One of the brahmas was next to her with a large wound across the top of her back end/tail. The other two were nowhere to be seen. I'm not sure if the two in the pen had run in there or were in there eating when the dog arrived. We back onto woods and a field so the dog must have just been away from the owners. It cleared our fence when it was running away. Our neighbour said he chased it out of his garden only a few days ago so I'm so worried it will be back.

The other two eventually showed up after being in hiding, ok but shaken. I am a vet nurse so took the brahma to work where she was anaesthetised and stitched up. She's very bald and I have her in the dog crate where she will recuperate, I hope the other two will be kind to her when she eventually goes back out. I think I'll make her a jumper of sorts to keep it covered when she does. She's eating and seems fairly perky considering what a day she has had. The other two look very lonely out there on their own tonight.

R.I.P Toothless. We loved you so very much :cry:

What a horrid thing to happen to you and your girls.

I'm sorry one of them died but hope the other one gets well soon.

It sounds to me like the dog owners should be reprimanded in some way - imagine if it was a child that it attacked instead.

Did you manage to get any details or shout anything over the fence that their dog injured your chickens ?

I hope it doesn't come in again xx

No, the dog ran off when mine went out and across the field back to the woodland. I think they must have been walking in the wood and not had a clue where their dog was. My husband posted something on a local page on facebook, just asking if anyone did lose their dog on a walk in this area to consider keeping it on a lead or walking up the other end of the woodland. A dogwalker contacted me afterwards to say he may have an idea who it belongs to. They actually live down my lane and I see them walking past a lot and also out in the woods as we walk our dog out there too. I can't prove if it was theirs or not but I may mention it to them just in case.

If it wasn't a dog it would have been a fox and then I'd have "Ooops, word censored!"ody to blame, so I can't really hold it against them. At least if I mention it to these particular owners they may think twice about letting the dog off in this end of the woods, if theirs is one that disappears on walks! It was a pointer/hound type but I think a large number of dogs would attack a chicken if they came across one anyway. Just sad I have lost one of my girls in this way.

Sorry to hear that, a horrible shock for you.

When the little one is a bit stronger could you put the dog crate where the other two can see her during the day?

I had an ill one who lived in a crate for a few weeks, I thought she wouldn't make it as she was a very good age so I took her in the utility and spoiled her a bit :oops: Then she surprised me and was her old self again, I had to re-introduce her to the other two which took a while.

I hope she has had a good night.

Chrissie

Thank you.

She is amazingly strong, up and about today and eating/drinking. As she is so bright I put the crate by the french doors and let the other two out. They came straight over and didn't leave her side for nearly two hours. So sweet. The other brahma even laid down for a spot of sunbathing on the carpet :lol:

I've made a kind of makeshift jumper for her, and let her out for a quick hello with the others. They laughed at her jumper and then tried to peck her underneath her tail - which wasn't covered by the jumper and where she had a few puncture wounds that were also stitched. Decided too much too soon so brought her back in. I guess iodine spray may help deter them from the wounds that aren't covered? She is heavily feathered so kept pecking at the underneath of the jumper anyway, I'm not sure she will cope with wearing it long term.

I also saw the owners of the dog that I'm pretty certain did the deed. Pulled over to say what had happened and I didn't know it was definitely her but they didn't seem surprised. The owner has just knocked on my door as I was typing this to say how sorry he was and that they were having a few issues with her and promised to keep her on the lead down this end of the woods. That was kind of him, he offered to pay for another but I understand dogs aren't robots - even my own who lives with the chickens I think would chase others if she happened across them. I'm just grateful I can be a bit assured it hopefully won't happen again.

Hi, I am sorry to hear about this incident. I was wondering about your fencing. We back onto fields which is no longer grazed and is now used by dog walkers with their off the lead dogs. Many of their dogs go wild chasing up and down the fence trying to get at my hens but have never been able to clear the fence. It is standard livestock fencing. Maybe this is something you might want to consider in the future. Best wishes. Ax

Hi, I am sorry to hear about this incident. I was wondering about your fencing. We back onto fields which is no longer grazed and is now used by dog walkers with their off the lead dogs. Many of their dogs go wild chasing up and down the fence trying to get at my hens but have never been able to clear the fence. It is standard livestock fencing. Maybe this is something you might want to consider in the future. Best wishes. Ax

Yes we also have standard livestock fencing down the bottom of the garden. As she was chased out she cleared it like it wasn't even there. She was a Pointer. I think the likes of her and lurchers are amazingly good jumpers!

Sorry to read this and can empathise. Had a big lemon Brahma girl gashed down to the bone on her neck........and my own Lhasa apso was the culprit! She survived after a lot of tlc and is still going strong but had to split the garden as once dogs start they won't stop.

Did lose my first 2 brown hens to a collie and was gutted. Put a six ft fence up then but never thought one of my own would suddenly turn a year later on them!

Glad your brahma is doing ok.

My own dog was very excited around them in the days following Redsunset. I wonder if she had actually been out there then instead of chasing it she might have got excited and joined in as well? Dunno if she could just smell the Brahmas wounds and that was making her act out of character or what she thought she was up to!

Mother Gothel is back out full time with the others now, still a way to go but healing mostly fine. There is one area under her tail I'm a little concerned over but we will see, I'm keeping a close eye. She just needs some feathers back now, poor old baldy butt.

Think all dogs have the potential and it just needs that little trigger from others to go into pack mode. Not their fault, it's nature but hard for us chook keepers!

Glad your chook is in the mend. I had a rhode rock attacked by a lovely natured retriever about 18 months ago and she appeared back in garden with large gashes on her back. Survived but tail never grew back so I named her half chook as she looked like a quail. She passed on a year later, but was a little odd looking and easily distinguishable from the other chooks but quite happy :)