Alis girls

Medicines for cats questions

The vets can give you a private prescription for the meds but usually not till the animal is stabilised on one or another medication. The vets will charge you for a prescription but if you google you can perhaps find them cheaper than the vets. The animal requires to be under vets care so they need to see him/her every so often to check them.

I have a diabetic cat, she was diagnosed in May 2011. She is insulin dependant and has one injection which has to be administered at the same time each day. I have looked into buying her insulin online with a prescription from the vets, the vet told me he would give me a six month prescription, there is a charge from the vet to issue this! Taking this into account it is actually cheaper for me to buy it from the vet. However I do buy the syringes online as they work out £7 cheaper per 30, also she is meant to have diabetic food again cheaper online but she does prefer my other cats Go Cat, so a lot of the time she just gets that. Don't think this has done her any harm as was told by the vets a cat is lucky to pass two years after diagnosis and she is now coming upto 5 years. The cost per month is between £40- £50 per month for food, syringes and insulin.

My friend has a cat with overactive thyroid and again looking into it the vets are cheaper for tablets.

I am not sure if there is a standard prescription charge countrywide or it is down to the individual vet practice. I know the vets vary for blood tests etc as Octi cat has to have a fructosamine test every 6 months to check her levels and at my vets costs £55 but another vet in the area charges £45 but their insulin is far more expensive so it's all swings and roundabouts.

Hope this all makes sense. :)

I use Caninsulin, it is about £8 per vial, once opened it lasts 28 days although I do notice that it starts to lose its effectiveness after approx 25 days. Luckily I only need to inject once a day but many cats need two injections per day. The insulin needs to be kept in a fridge and not shaken.

I buy syringes from either animed direct.co.uk or chemist direct.co.uk they are £10 - free postage with animed and you get free postage if you spend £40 at chemist direct. There is a vet pen option but it was not cost effective for the dose that Octi has that is why I use syringes.

The food I buy from pets at home online ( they do not stock it in the shop ) it is Science plan m/d and is about £30 for 5 kg. Over £45 at vets.

The injection is time sensitive and needs to be done at the same time each day, if your cat is diabetic then choose a time that you are in each day, Octi has her injection at 8 am.

Have a look at caninsulin.co.uk - very helpful site.

Hopefully this helps :)

Sorry meant to add, it can take months to stabilise a cat all this time they will be having blood tests etc, I know it took about 2 weeks to get Octi dose right and about £300 in vets fees. She did have a hypo after about 18 months and we had to adjust her dose but was only one fructosamine test.

I use animed.direct for thyroid pills, my vet charges £20 for a prescription but the tablets are around half the price that the vet charges. I think my vets are particularly expensive if I'm honest but I'm reluctant to change having taken the cat there for 7 years or so.

You must have a prescription but you can scan it and submit it online and the pills usually arrive within a couple of days, it's an excellent service.