Grandmashazzie

Pedigree Dogs!

I cannot believe it. A few years ago got a beautiful boxer,she had to be euthanised at 4 months. Heart murmur,they are prone to that. Adorable St Bernard,euthanised 5 years,tumour,they are prone to that. 3 Labradors in row hip dysplasia,they are prone to that. Now my 3 year old Schnauzer is at vets,pancreatitis,they are prone to that. ( She also has had bladder stone and guess what. . . They are prone to that too. I am feeling a bit cross with myself as I read on here and in books about feeding raw. I tried her on several things but she never took to it. Then vet recommended Royal canin urinary diet to prevent return of stone which she has been on for 18 months, on looking it up it is 17% fat :shock: which I am most certain has contributed to pancreatitis. Guess who has been ordering from Nutriment this am.

Sorry to hear that, sounds like you have been very unlucky with your breeds.

My 9 year old cocker was also prone to pancreatitis but in the chronic form not acute but has been really well (except miraculously she survived bladder cancer last year). We feed her on James well beloved and she is only allowed treats with under 5% fat which seems to do the trick.

I hope your little one is better soon.

You do indeed sound to have been unlucky :( I have a poodle and she had a bad bout of colitis which they are apparently prone to several years ago. On the vet's advice I changed her to James Wellbeloved fish and rice and she has been mainly fine since (apart from the time she ate OH's sausage supper :shock: ). She did have some anal gland issues recently :vom: and we were advised to give her more roughage and bran flakes were suggested by the vet nurse. However she seemed to have a bit of a reaction to the change in her diet, albeit she didn't get many. So we are giving her some carrot which she seems fine with.

I sometimes help my friend in her pet shop and it is very interesting to hear about various breeds issues. From my point of view it is also interesting to see all the poodle crosses that come in. Some who are more poodle have reported colitis issues. On an aside it is also interesting to note their behaviour. Some cockerpoos you see exhibit the spaniel excitement and exuberance and others show the poodle concentration which makes them so easy to train.