Chucky Mama

Airpot woes and Lost Luggage :(

We went on our annual holiday on 25th. We were flying from Heathrow Terminal 5 and as a result of the terminal being in total chaos. We (and others) missed our flight. After queuing for a total of 5 hours + our family was split, the 3 kids (18+) had to charge across London (no help provided by Heathrow) to Gatwick and we were put on flights going to Sicily via Milan. When we finally arrived in Sicily... our luggage did not! We took the 2 large bags as the kids couldn't cart them across London for their flight (they took a large backpack with 1 person's luggage in). So, no luggage for our 12 day holiday! We are now back at home and it is day 19 and still no luggage. Alitalia the airline has been nothing short of horrific in terms of helping us. The don't answer emails and the only customer service number they will answer is in Rome. We were told that they had found the bags in Milan last Thursday but since then they have been telling us all sorts of untruths regarding flying them to us. Now they are saying that they have not found them! I resorted to posting daily updates of their terrible service on their Facebook page but yesterday I was blocked and all of the posts were removed. I finally received a phone call yesterday basically telling me to ' just wait to hear from them'. In other words, shut up. I have taken to Twitter with not much success as I don't really know what I am doing! So, the moral of the story is pack hand luggage only and don't fly Alitalia!

There is a site called ceo.com which gives the email addresses of high ranking management, in reality it goes to a department for escalated complaints. Not sure if your airline will be on it but I used it very successfully to get a full refund and compensation from a well known travel agent after exhausting other avenues. Otherwise I would contact the highest person in the company.

Email is composed. It is now a matter of finding of finding an email combo that doesn't get bounced back. As asked the lovely guy that looked after our holiday house to phone today to see if an Italian speaker could get any response. They told him that the luggage was in Munich! So far we have been told that they were in: Milan, Catania, Monaco, Munich, Stuttgart and Frankfurt :shock::wall:

update:ball.cramer@alitalia.it seems to have gone through! Fingers are crossed.

We must have guessed correctly as we received a very apologetic phone call this morning. It would appear that the bags are in Munich...Still trying to get them back to us and won't declare them 'found' until they are here. Finally someone is on the case although 21 days down the line.

Hope they turn up very soon - that has been a long haul to get an answer - touch wood never been in that position and never hope to be- I always take a change of clothing in my handluggage and a pair of sandals. I am lucky I go to stay with friends and also leave stuff there like shorts as I would never wear them here a nightdress and toiletries. I would be in a position to borrow tshirts if I ran out thankfully but would obviously prefer my own stuff.

My daughter was due to fly home from Spain last night and arrive at Heathrow at 10pm, she was delayed for a few hours then the airline cancelled the flight and she can't fly back till today at lunchtime.

She had a hospital appointment today that she has waited four months for, that will have to be cancelled but every cloud, she got a good nights sleep in a lovely hotel and had a shower. Can you imagine how good that felt after 6 days camping at a music festival!

The email to the CEO's guessed email address got the ball rolling. I was, it would appear passed to someone who was more than capable of doing their job. Yesterday I was asked if I would like to close the file and for Alitalia to log the bags as lost :( I asked them to continue searching for 1 more week but to focus afresh on Heathrow, Terminal 5 was such chaos and Milan as our connection was so quick. Today someone from Heathrow got up from their chair and had a look. Poor woman had been on duty for 13 hours and was having a miserable time because of the ongoing chaos at the airport. Our bags were sitting in a room with 'hundreds of other bags' :wall::dance: The bags will be couriered to us tomorrow. What a fiasco, who sorts it all out is anyone's guess. Heathrow and BA refused to help as said that lost bags were the responsibility of the final carrier. :roll: