Alis girls

Restless legs syndrome

Any one got this? I think I have and seeing GP today to see if linked to anything else. I dont drink hardly at all, drink coffee but not late or in huge amounts and dont smoke. In fact I am dead boring. But my legs - i am fed up of tossing and turning for hours trying to get comfy. They ache and crack and this hot weather has made them worse. That and the bites on them :twisted: I have read RLS website and got some magnsium today to take. I want to check not anaemic as so tired and got hair loss too.

In fact sleep better after alcohol and coffee so probably its middleaged woman syndrome. :lol:

GP is brilliant shes young looks at blood results and ok they are normal but my thyroid tests have altered meaning I am more underactive so shes upped the dose. It could be contributing to the RLS . Its nice that she doesnt just say its all normal go away. She acknowledged fact hair is falling out and I am tired.

I don't know if I have RLS or not (my mum has it quite badly and swears by a glass of tonic water last thing at night to calm it down) BUT I definitely get, at times, what I can only describe as fidgety legs, can't get comfy, feel like tap dancing all night, that kind of thing - in my case, I've found that it's usually when I'm dehydrated - so several glasses of cold water usually put me right - like I say, this mightn't actually be RLS - but might be worth a go??

Good luck!

I've had problems for a long time with restless legs, it's drives you barmy but it got a lot worse at the beginning of the year and I got regular twitching and jerking in my legs at night which I think is Periodic limb movement disorder.

I haven't been to the doc but read up about it and started taking magnesium supplements and it's stopped except very occasionally. There's a difference in types of magnesium. Here's a bit explaining it http://www.naturalnews.com/046401_magnesium_dietary_supplements_nutrient_absorption.html but there is quite a bit on the internet. I get magnesium citrate from Holland and Barratt, the ones from the supermarkets are oxide and I understand very little is absorbed. Having said that I get spasm in my left arm now but probably from holding ipad too long. :roll:

Good luck hope your legs improve with the magnesium and thyroid meds, you have my sympathy.

I don't know whether it runs in families - my dad had it, so do both me and little bro. He was told by his doc to take tonic water because of the quinine. I don't like tonic water but will happily slurp bitter lemon which does the trick and also contains quinine. I don't need it all the time and just a couple of glasses over a couple of days seems to work just fine - it may be months till it happens again. Sometimes the only relief I get (when I haven't bought any for a while) is by hanging my legs out over the end of the bed - the coolness without the covers seems to help a little - but the fidgeting and stretching that I go through until I find some respite is not nice.

Thanks - on my shopping list - bitter lemon not a lover of tonic water - I know they recommend Quinine for cramp - its not cramp but so annoying. I slept well last night but it was cooler. I dont think the heat and humididty help. Slept better in Spain where it was hot but dry. I must rattle - what with thyroxine and magnesium.

Yup and frustrating because when you stretch to relieve it or even change position it won't settle down for ages. Cramp it definitely is not! I'd rather have cramp because that's easier to deal with - and quicker!

Incidentally I've not had cramp in my fingers before but last night I did while sewing. Was really weird watching the middle finger tighten and move by itself over to the first finger - looked like I was trying to do a "live long and prosper" sign (or Mork). Had to grab it and pull it backwards pdq!!!

My OH has this and it drives both of us mad, will try the tonic water and magnesium.

Ali, hopefully the extra dose of thyroxine will help you, not sure how long you have been on it, but it takes a while to stabilise and to feel fully well. I was diagnosed 8 years ago and have so much energy than back then despite being 8 years older. I would say it took about a year to feel back to myself again but I did feel much better very quickly, the hair loss is probably related, there are so many symptoms associated with an under active thyroid that you don't even think of.