Luvachicken

Poorly Chloe

Can you get hold of any Vet Rx Poultry? I had to import mine from the US last year but it may be sold locally if you have a supplies shop near you. You put a drop under the wings so they breathe it in when they roost, put some directly on the nostrils and around the chest so they're surrounded in a cloud of it to breathe in - a bit like Vicks Vapour Rub! It worked amazingly well on mine when I first got them.

If you can't get hold of any and you'd like some I think I should be able to find a little container to decant some into and send it down to you. You'd have to dip your fingers into it to spread it over her but I found that finger application was the easiest way with mine anyway.

You can get VetRX on UK Amazon.

Olbas oil is not dissimilar in ingredients, so worth having a go.

Thanks Dogmother.

I did look on Amazon and then found their own page lower down which listed all the ingredients and it does seem very similar to Olbas oil.

I have tied an old hanky on the broody cage on the outside :D

I really hope it helps.

I love the smell of it anyway.

Thank you both for asking :D

Chloe is much the same - not really any better but not any worse either.

I spoke to the receptionist at the vets earlier and said the same thing to her, so she went and spoke to the vet.

The vet said it was a good thing she hadn't got any worse but that she needed to be on the Tylan and they would get it in tomorrow morning for me.

I will be able to pick it at after I finish work at lunchtime.

Chloe is still breathing quite hard through her open beak and she still sounds so bunged up :(

If only she could do a giant sneeze and get rid of it that way.

When she does sneeze she sounds like a little hooter.

Yesterday she did a good minute or so of breathing through her beak but then went back to breathing through an open beak.

A bit like us I suppose where your nose works and then is blocked up again.

She couldn't go out today either as the weather has been really horrid.

I'm hoping she might get half an hour outside with her friends tomorrow but I haven't seen the weather forecast yet.

I can't wait for the Tylan to arrive tomorrow and to start giving it to her.

I just hope it works.

I checked all the others today and none of them show any signs of a cold :D

I'm beginning to think that Chloe has Myco :(

I've been reading some of my previous posts (having typed in Tylan) and Chloe's symptoms seem very similar to ones that my chickens have had before.

Some of them got better on Baytril and some managed to get the Tylan and were better much quicker.

I really hope they are getting it for me as I was told it was too expensive before :(

I also don't really understand why they didn't order it on Friday then we could have had it on Saturday or today depending when it got delivered.

Well, did I pick up the biggest pot of Tylan powder today :shock:

It is my very own pot just for me and my girls :D

Mind you it was £ 37 :shock::shock:

I have mixed some up already even though it will be dark soon.

Chloe gets extra time as she is indoors with the lights on.

The vet suggested mixing it up for all of them for the next few weeks.

This is good as I no longer have to give Chloe medicine down her beak and when she does go back outside they can all have the same drink, and any germs that are lurking will hopefully not be spread amongst them.

The pot lasts until 2018 so I have quite a while to use it.

And any future outbreaks I will be ready.

The only problem is working out 1/2 a gram :?

For anyone interested it is one level Cravendale egg spoon and a little oval in the middle.

We divided 5g into 10 portions and then found the nearest suitable spoon to measure it on :D

Is she still snuggled indoors?

Yes she is :D

The vet said it was a good idea to keep her away from the others because she gets picked on at the best of times and needs time to recover.

She often wakes up about 8.30 pm and has a last drink and some food and then I cover her up with old towels at 9 pm.

I'm really hoping she looks a bit perkier in the morning.

Thanks for asking Gavclojak :D

Well, I'm still waiting for the Tylan to start working ......

Yesterday, because the sun came out and it wasn't too chilly, I took her outside for half an hour in the run with the others.

She wanted to get down and was quickly looked at evilly by Lucie who I pushed away. Chloe though had a look around and then went to sleep.

I picked her up so she could sleep on my lap instead of the cold floor and that is where she stayed for the half hour. Mind you, she did wake up when she heard a cat's bell tinkle :shock:

Today, she is still breathing through her open beak most of the time but she has had fun.

She has emptied a whole pot of grit over the broody cage floor and guzzled a pot of treats :D

The one thing I really don't understand is quite how their body works :?

When she is sleeping, that is when she lifts her head and opens her beak to breath, but when she is eating she has no problem breathing at all - how can that be ?

She does seem a little bit better and doesn't sound so snotty so I am ever hopeful.

Absolutely, birds aren't made to rest with their abdomens and chests on the ground.

The Tylan ought to have kicked in by this evening.

Thanks Dogmother. I will get hubby to make one for her tomorrow.

I feel a bit guilty now not having realised I may have been making life hard for her.

I'm hoping to see a really perky chicken tomorrow morning then :pray: