redhotchick

Charity Fund Raising at Work

Hi lovely Omlet people. Hope you are all well.

I work in an office with about 50 people. I have an idea for a potluck lunch to raise money for Red Nose Day, but I haven't fleshed out the details so would like some advice.

My first thoughts are that people would sign up to bring in either a sweet or a savoury dish to serve at about 6 people.

We set up a buffet and people help themselves to a plate of food.

So my questions are. How much to charge for a plate of food? I'm thinking £3 for people who haven't brought a dish and £1 for people who have brought a dish. I thought maybe have a target of 10 people bringing savoury and 5 people bring sweet and getting people to sign up beforehand.

I like the idea, but I'm so worried about it not working out I may not push it forward at all!

I'd probably have to limit how many people wanted to bring hot food, and there would be limited space in the fridge for everyone to keep things cool. Maybe I could do it, but on a scaled down version...

We have a large eating area in work but only 2 microwaves and a 4 slot toaster.

At least I'm thinking about it! Any ideas how I could get this to work? TIA x

Good for you, it sounds like a great idea. Only you know what your colleagues are like and whether they'll join in - there's always going to be a few who don't want to.

A few thoughts - obvious, but get permission from the management. Where would you set it all out, have you got a big enough space? What about plates and cutlery, paper napkins, clearing up afterwards.

You could ask people to bring their own coolbags or boxes to reduce the strain on fridge space, and you could ask for some of the savoury dishes to be cold (e.g. quiche?) to avoid everyone wanting to use the microwave at the same time.

The other thing would be publicising it early, so people know they don't need to bring lunch on that day. I don't think you should feel you have to do this all yourself, I'd hope that once you've set it in motion some colleagues would offer to help.

Go for it- I understand your nerves, but it's certainly something I'd have taken part in when I worked in an office. People will do anything for food!

Yes great idea.Another thing you could do would to have something like afternoon tea at lunchtime and have sandwiches,scones and cupcakes i.e. everything cold so less hassle with reheating. I always find in situations like that to have a big jar labelled donations is better than setting set price. People are very generous when it comes to good causes.

Just wanted to say that I love the idea too. Wish I worked with you. I always think that other people's lunches are more interesting than my own and I get bored with the same ol thing so I think it's a winner.

I hope it works out well. Let us know.

Totally agree....a lovely idea! And good advice too regarding asking for donations rather than setting a price, I'd def go with that!! Could you go with a 'wear something red' too, if management concur? Just to add to the atmosphere and get everyone in the mood and feeling involved!

I'd try and get a few others on board with this to help out with the planning and 'on the day' practicalities and so take some of the pressure away from you. Do make sure that everyone knows well in advance though to get maximum support!

Good luck; let us know how it goes!

Thanks for responses.

I would get management on board first, the more I have a plan fleshed out the better.

I like the wear red idea. It would be a dress down day anyway.

Definitely disposable plates, and cutlery. also thinking about "takeaway boxes"

We have a big eating space Olly, might need to get any slow cookers PAT tested!! I will speak to H&S tomorrow and get their thoughts.

I think a donations jar is a great idea. We have a lot of people who "hot desk" in our office (because it's the nicest place to work!) and we never know who to expect, apart from core staff. I will gauge support and maybe set a minimum donation.

Advertising and lots of promotion is wise advice too. I will work on it over the weekend.

Thanks all x

The plans are going really well! I am so excited! (And also so snowed under with work!)

I spoke to the MD about it who suggested a person to take it off me and organise it. So I emptied my head of ideas to that person and she has been great! With the help of a brand new apprentice they have got people signed up to bring food in, and eat it! Lots of posters around the office. An update e-mail went out today. It's really got people interested and talking about it. I think we'll have plenty to eat and a decent balance of sweet and savoury. Hopefully we raise lots of money too!

I've had to step away from my tendency to micro manage things and let it develop It's own way.