mullethunter

One thing after another...Trematodes, Beryl's bacteria..

Right. Hot on he heels of losing Barbara this week I have a few other issues...

Margot, although much better clearly still has digestive issues and has now laid a no she'll egg followed by a softie. Does anyone know if Beryl's bacteria can actually do any good or is it all jus put marketing rubbish like probiotic yoghurt a for people?

Second, Bernadette is making a funny little wheezy noise with some breaths, and is sitting down a little more than normal, but otherwise seems completely normal - can a chicken have a cold?

Finally, after much research, I think the small orangey bits on the surface of one of their poos (Amy i think and it's not the first time) are from intestinal Trematodes / flukes. Does anyone know of flubenvet will treat them?

Beryl's worked really well for us Mullethunter, but you need to be in when it comes as it is delivered in a chilled package. Stinky stuff indeed but within a week all the poos had firmed up.

Chickens can get 'hay fever'; their respiratory airways can get irritated by certain pollens.

You would have to worm them with Flubenvet in the first instance, just to rule a worm burden out.

No I appreciate that and thanks for trying.

I think it was farmland prior to the house being built in 1955 but that probably doesn't count! And I use Nettex ground sanitising powder at least once a month in the run.

All issues except the possible Trematodes have now resolved themselves and I'll be worming with flubenvet first week in May so hopefully that'll get rid of them.

Flubenvet will treat roundworms (nematodes) which are likely to be ascarids if you are seeing them in poo. A Trematode is a flatworm (liver fluke). If it is Ascaridia Galli they are large, long, thick and white (up to 12cm) they will come out after treatment or if the hen has a large worm burden. You can take a faecal sample if you are concerned about worms and send it off for a worm egg count to see if they need treating. I worm mine a couple of times a year with Flubenvet which you can get premixed in pellet form and you feed only this to your hens for a week. For Beryls it is very good for good gut health and is definitely live bacteria which is why it needs refrigerated and used immediately. I give it to mine mixed as a paste in a syringe to ensure they get it. It is especially good after a course of antibiotics as they kill off all bacteria (good and bad) so you need to replenish the hen’s good bacteria to ensure she recovers her gut health. Hope that helps