PickleHen

Hen eating eggs

We have an egg eater. This behaviour started a coupe of weeks ago and with a new baby we are having timing issues with getting to the eggs as soon as they are laid.

We only have two hens and I am almost certain of which one is the culprit!

I have read the suggestion of filling a shell with mustard, which I will try in the coming days. We are already using two fake eggs in the eglu nest and I am ensuring they have a diverse diet, including layer pellets and fresh produce. Any other suggestions?

TIA

Gosh. I could not cull an egg eater. Sorry Mars I'm a townie really. I have a hen who tests her eggs, they then sometimes get eaten. I just always discard any evidence of said egg and check the nesting box many times the next few days. It's habit forming, so if you can break the habit that's a good start

I think it depends if you keep hens as pets or view them more commercially. It's a very hard habit to break and they can destroy all the eggs in the nest box, not just their own.

Darkness might help, it's worth a try. Removing the eggs as soon as they're laid is easier said than done - you can get nest boxes that roll the eggs away out of sight as soon as they're laid, but they don't fit in an Eglu.

I fully appreciate people do what they think is fight. If I kept hens purely for the eggs then I suppose I would cull but mine are primarily pets and if they lay an egg then that's an added bonus. Personally, for me it's not a culling offence but horses for courses.